Quick Disconnects w/ or w/o internal valves?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pieper

Reaction score
Hi guys and gals - I posted this under the brutus tread but I figured other ppl have experience with the plastic quick disconnects outside of that thread.

So last night I basically finished up my brutus ten (it was a long project) and I noticed that my plastic quick disconnects are straight through (no internal valve that prohibits fluids to pass once disconnected). This seems like it would cause a very messy brew day.

Does anyone have experience with the plastic disconnects without an internal valve? Do they make it a pain in the ass with excess spilling every time you disconnect your valves? I foresee wort getting all over my stand, pumps, and floor when using these.

I am thinking of returning them and getting the disconnects with the valves but want a second opinion before I do.

Thanks in advance,

cmp

My QDs have no internal valves either. I think most of them are that way. I have a ball lock installed then my QDs

QD_002.jpg

I've had both of these now and I'm not sure where I stand.

I originally bought the shut off quick connects. I had some clogging issues with the recirculation of my mash and immediately replaced them with inline connects think it was the small valve causing the problems...

It wasnt, i still had stuck recirculation after I replaced them AND I made the mistake a few times of releasing the connect without first shutting the ball valve, so now I had two issues to deal with.

I think in the long run id prefer the shut off, but it isnt necessary if you pay attention. I still have the straight thru ones on my stand now and I have even posted the shut off valves for sale in the Classified forum, but im having second thoughts that I may keep them.

I will say, i love the polyulfone connects. I can grab them with hot wort and not burn my hand.

Sorry, i couldnt tell you whats better, just that I have had both.

Thanks - that helps.

Even if you shut off the ball valve you would still get some spillage (leakage) when you, say, disconnect the QD from the ball valve on the pump or the kettle -- really what ever is still in the hose will spill out unless you either put a bucket underneath it or crimp the hose.

I am stuck here. ...

Thanks - that helps.

Even if you shut off the ball valve you would still get some spillage (leakage) when you, say, disconnect the QD from the ball valve on the pump or the kettle -- really what ever is still in the hose will spill out unless you either put a bucket underneath it or crimp the hose.

I am stuck here. ...

Oh I gotcha. Yea I get a few drops that leak out, but not much. I disconnect from the pump first and let everything drain out from the hose before disconnecting the last QD. Spillage is very minimal

but by "drain out" you mean the hose drains out into a bucket and it's waste?

Back