I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Varmintman said:
Ok I am thinking I am wasting some good sugar in my brews. When I brewed last night I shot for 1.040 SG and hit it dead on. But since I am doing the no sparge method I wondered how much sugar I was leaving behind so once my brewpot was full and on the boil I dumped a gallon of boiling water into the mash tun stirred it up and drained it. That gravity was 1.030. Now I know it was only a gallon but it seems kind of a waste to leave that much sugar behind.

I just dumped the gallon instead of adding it to the brew pot because I did not want a strong beer. Still trying to figure what I can do with the extra sugar I am leaving behind though

Use less grain and adjust for higher efficiency.

I dumped a gallon of boiling water into the mash tun stirred it up and drained it. That gravity was 1.030. Now I know it was only a gallon but it seems kind of a waste to leave that much sugar behind.

I just dumped the gallon instead of adding it to the brew pot because I did not want a strong beer. Still trying to figure what I can do with the extra sugar I am leaving behind though

You can freeze that extra gallon of 1.030 wort and use it for starters. Freeze it in equal thirds, and put each third in a gallon zip lock. Then when you want to make a starter you can take it right out of the freezer and plop the frozen wort in to a pot and boil it down to 1L which will put you at about 1.035-1.040, which is perfect for starters. I do this all the time. Saves a lot of money on DME for starters.

Batch before that even after sparging I was getting near 1.03 so I ran a few more gallons through and did a 3 gallon batch with that (did add some DME, but not much).
:D

I do this a lot, as well. You can get yourself a 1.5-2 gallon batch as a bonus. Just watch your temps and pH when you sparge it out. You can even get creative and add some different specialty grains for a short steep to get a different style than the original batch.

I am thinking I am going to start doing a gallon batch trying out different hops. I do not do big beers and I reuse my yeast cakes so starters are out at least for me.

Sigh when I got up this morning I had 12 empty beer bottles and 6 of them I drank last night. I got one batch ready to bottle right now and the batch I brewed last night will be ready in 2 or 3 weeks. 60 bottles per batch or 120 bottles in 3 weeks and I got 12 right now. Either my friends kick it up a notch and help me out or I am going on a bender.

Sigh when I got up this morning I had 12 empty beer bottles and 6 of them I drank last night.

Your leaving us hanging, who drank the other 6?

That is kinda like the high school prank of taking three pigs and painting numbers on them #1, #2, #4 and letting them loose overnight to roam around in the school. The school finds the pigs in the morning and then spends the next couple of weeks looking for #3. :ban::ban:

Your leaving us hanging, who drank the other 6?

That is kinda like the high school prank of taking three pigs and painting numbers on them #1, #2, #4 and letting them loose overnight to roam around in the school. The school finds the pigs in the morning and then spends the next couple of weeks looking for #3. :ban::ban:
That's hilarious! Please tell me you actually did this?

Ok I am thinking I am wasting some good sugar in my brews. When I brewed last night I shot for 1.040 SG and hit it dead on. But since I am doing the no sparge method I wondered how much sugar I was leaving behind so once my brewpot was full and on the boil I dumped a gallon of boiling water into the mash tun stirred it up and drained it. That gravity was 1.030. Now I know it was only a gallon but it seems kind of a waste to leave that much sugar behind.

That's no sparge, it's the nature of the beast. Get some chickens, they love the spent grain with the extra sugar.

That's no sparge, it's the nature of the beast. Get some chickens, they love the spent grain with the extra sugar.

Leaving sugar in grain is like leaving half a beer in the bottle and throwing it away!

But.... I guess if you're eating chicken eggs and chickens it all washes out in the end.

She's definitely got some funny video game remixes. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed I had prune juice in the back of the fridge. I don't know why I bought it, I don't like prune juice. I don't know why, but mixed up a batch of prune wine. It's only a gallon, but I still have no idea where I'm going to put it when it's done. Just a basic diluted juice solution with extra sugar and nutrients. OG: 1.122.

I know this group has done a bunch of remakes. I really like this song though in both forms Grieg and Apocalyptica

Last edited by a moderator:

I have been giving my spent grain to a buddy who has chickens who in turn gives me some eggs. I really do not want to get any chickens just because I will have to give the some heat some how in the winter just to keep them alive.

But my wife wants them so I guess this summer I will build something for them :p

I have been giving my spent grain to a buddy who has chickens who in turn gives me some eggs. I really do not want to get any chickens just because I will have to give the some heat some how in the winter just to keep them alive.

But my wife wants them so I guess this summer I will build something for them :p

That's what I do too. I can't have chickens here due to HOA rules. I'd really like to though.

A long time ago say 15 years or so my ex's grandma decided that it was time that they gave away a old violin that was in pieces and since I was a cabinet maker they gave it to me.

It turns out it was made in 1760 or something in a shop by the name of a guy called Stradivarius. I did some research found out who he was and thought Yay I am going to retire now. But it turns out while it is worth some money the expensive ones were built by Strad himself and the ones built in his shop are not so much. Turns out in order to get it restored would cost as much as the violin was worth but I did it anyway.

When the fine lady who gave me the violin turned 100 I wanted to have someone play it for her at her birthday party. Well as a kid I played a little with a group of folks called old time fiddlers and it turns out the national champion fiddle player did not live but a couple miles from me. I talked to her and she graciously agreed to play the fiddle at the birthday party.

Anyway I now got a old as dirt fiddle with a ton of history that my kid does not want to learn how to play. Aint life grand :rockin:

That's what I do too. I can't have chickens here due to HOA rules. I'd really like to though.

When I was a kid my dad was the original prepper. We lived off everything that we produced which while good had its draw backs like chickens. Dad bought 100 eggs and we raised those chickens to the point of butchering them. THe stage with the eggs was fine but dang man plucking 20 chickens in one day just sucked and then doing it for 5 days in a row really sucked.

I have never owned a chicken since and still consider them foul meat :D

Not nigth time here or there, but having a great time and buzz... after work today -I was away for a meeting- I joining the ACCE crew (spanish homebrewers asocciattio for two days of homebrew beer, contest, and conferences. I doubt that´s going to be very litttle of me left after 48hs like this. See ya all guys have a great time. I´ll have a beer (or a dozen) for you guys/gals.

I need to go back and catch up on posts and music, but quick question. I transferred a 5 gallon batch after 11 days, washed the yeast in it's own slurry I guess, kept moving it around, leaving the trub behind, and ended up with 1.5 quarts of really good looking thick and bubbly yeast. This is plenty for a new 5 gallon batch or is it too much? Or is my question impossible to answer?

Here come the yeast cell counters...I don't see how they do it without losing count.
I give up after a couple of million.

I need to go back and catch up on posts and music, but quick question. I transferred a 5 gallon batch after 11 days, washed the yeast in it's own slurry I guess, kept moving it around, leaving the trub behind, and ended up with 1.5 quarts of really good looking thick and bubbly yeast. This is plenty for a new 5 gallon batch or is it too much? Or is my question impossible to answer?

It's proabably too much for a standard grav batch. MrMalty.com has a yeast calculator that will help you figure out how much to pitch.

Use 1/4-1/3 of it if its a fresh cake and you'll be got to go.

It was fresh but I already dumped in half before asking the question. Also added more hops to this batch and filled with extra gallon of water to make 6.25 gallons in a 7.9 gallon bucket. Last one was too strong, so made those adjustments. Too much yeast?

Added: Thanks, I think I got it worked out, sort of. I think half of the batch was more than enough.

It was fresh but I already dumped in half before asking the question. Also added more hops to this batch and filled with extra gallon of water to make 6.25 gallons in a 7.9 gallon bucket. Last one was too strong, so made those adjustments. Too much yeast?

Added: Thanks, I think I got it worked out, sort of. I think half of the batch was more than enough.

I never really understood the science behind overpitching. I understand underpitching fine. That MrMalty site is pretty good. I think in your case choose a slurry. I followed it once, and the beer came out fine.

A long time ago say 15 years or so my ex's grandma decided that it was time that they gave away a old violin that was in pieces and since I was a cabinet maker they gave it to me.

It turns out it was made in 1760 or something in a shop by the name of a guy called Stradivarius. I did some research found out who he was and thought Yay I am going to retire now. But it turns out while it is worth some money the expensive ones were built by Strad himself and the ones built in his shop are not so much. Turns out in order to get it restored would cost as much as the violin was worth but I did it anyway.

When the fine lady who gave me the violin turned 100 I wanted to have someone play it for her at her birthday party. Well as a kid I played a little with a group of folks called old time fiddlers and it turns out the national champion fiddle player did not live but a couple miles from me. I talked to her and she graciously agreed to play the fiddle at the birthday party.

Anyway I now got a old as dirt fiddle with a ton of history that my kid does not want to learn how to play. Aint life grand :rockin:

One day, v-man, your kid will want to play your fiddle. :rockin:

I will tell you how I do it right or who knows :rockin:

When I rack the beer I have about a cup of beer left in on top of the yeast cake. I shake the stuffing out of the fermenter swirling it to get the whole yeast cake broke up and in solution with the little bit of beer I had to leave in the fermenter.

I take 4 pint jars that I have had boiled to sterilize and fill them right up to the top and cap them and toss them in the fridge. I suppose I could get 5 pints but 4 pints works for me.

On brew day I pull the yeast out of the fridge and let it warm up to room temp while I am brewing and when I pitch the beer I shake the heck out of the pint jar and then dump it in.

I started a brew log this year to help me keep track of things I have done that work and do not work. I keep track of all my yeast in that as well. I figure 4 generations and then I will buy more meaning I get 16 batches out of one pouch of yeast. I know I can get more but this works plenty good for me

Thanks for explaining how you do it, v-man. I'll have to get the right sized jars cleaned up and ready for the next batch. I also left a bit of beer on top to make the slurry, instead of adding water. Seemed to work out great.

After much reading and a great write up by woodland brewing I figure one pint of the slurry is good for brews coming in under 1.050 starting gravity.

Kind of cool huh reusing the yeast. I hated buying a new pouch of yeast for every batch

Our new babies arrived today, they look like 2 dozen brown eggs. Hubby has incubator set to a perfect 101 degrees. Or maybe 102, forgot what he said, but he was happy. He was watching the incubator temp the way I stare at my mash temp.

So, no more empty nest after both kids went off to college, we have 2 dozen new eggs!

I need to pay attention and stop joking around.
How much is a packet of yeast?
Cuz my LBHS just raised the price of their kits across the board $4.00 each.

I'm just using kits for now because I'm a beginner.
Getting the "process" down is what's important to me right now.

I'm paying $33 dollars average for kits (they are good ones though).
So, I'm still at less than 70 cents for the beer.

Which is outstanding by the way.
Now drinking my batch#2 American Wheat and it blows away any craft brew I've ever tasted...hands down.
I probably got lucky but I feel like I have graduated.

[Q
I need to pay attention and stop joking around.
How much is a packet of yeast?
Cuz my LBHS just raised the price of their kits across the board $4.00 each.

I'm just using kits for now because I'm a beginner.
Getting the "process" down is what's important to me right now.

I'm paying $33 dollars average for kits (they are good ones though).
So, I'm still at less than 70 cents for the beer.

Which is outstanding by the way.
Now drinking my batch#2 American Wheat and it blows away any craft brew I've ever tasted...hands down.
I probably got lucky but I feel like I have graduated.

$3.99 for a cheap packet of dry yeast is about right. $6.99 for the liquid good stuff. I'm trying to keep all my 5 gallon batches under $22.00 for now, $20.00 isn't always quite enough. Extra pack of hops for $2.00. :ban:

The spent grain will pretty much produce it's own heat if you pile it high enough :rockin:

Latest posts

Back