Top Secret Brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanzerBanana

Reaction score
So I was wonderin' if there's anyone else like me that have beer recipes and experiments they keep under wraps?

So far I just have one recipe in the works and a test batch already brewed and mostly consumed. lol I did a little bit of rooting around and hadn't managed to find a beer of it's kind officially brewed. I've only made mention of it to friends and family.

Currently I'm conducting a bit of a kitchen science experiment to see if I can culture some hidden yeast for a special brew. In the mean time I've gotta track down a cheap lab that I can send a sample to if I manage to wake any up. lol

Anyone else a bit of a Mad Brewer?

I have a secret secret recipe that I will be working on. I saw a brief image of what looked like pumpkin cake with bananas on top. So I think that it might be good to try and make a Pumpkin Hefe with lots of banana flavor.

But don't tell anyone, I want to make a fortune with it!

Well, ever since I started, I've been brewing with chick peas as 100% of the grain bill. I even malted, and toasted them. So far, they taste pretty bad.

Other than that, when I finally get the money to start brewing with the right ingredients, I'm planning to make a batch of mbege (African banana/millet beer), and maybe boza.

I think there is no harm in thinking (right or wrong) that you are venturing into new territory. Isn't that part of the fun? Keep it a secret or post it. Either way, as long as you are having fun...

Well, ever since I started, I've been brewing with chick peas as 100% of the grain bill. I even malted, and toasted them. So far, they taste pretty bad.

Other than that, when I finally get the money to start brewing with the right ingredients, I'm planning to make a batch of mbege (African banana/millet beer), and maybe boza.

I have an Ethiopian friend who's teaching me how to make T'ella... I can't find the purple huskless barley anywhere though (they call it black barley). Do people typically make mbege in small batches in soda bottles as well?

I can say Im a bit of a mad brewer at heart. I dont keep recipes a secret for the sake of keeping them a secret, but rather that they are still in 'design' phase shall we say.
Ideas Ive been kicking around:
--Rye and Pomegranate IPA (a play at the Elleusinian Mysteries)
--Mango and Habanero steam ale

I am currently working on a very dark Irish Ale that is inspired by stories of Odin

Any advice, thoughts would be more than welcome.

Also, I did one steam Ale following a recipe which should of been Anchor Steam Ale, but it came out all wrong and didnt carbonate. Ive been meaning to post the recipe to see if anyone had any thoughts on what went wrong.

Yes, I've recently come into some mosquitoes preserved in amber, I'm hoping to harvest some pre-historic yeast, clone the yeast, and make a huge yeast theme park on a large island. People will be able to ride through the park in cars on a track, seeing all the yeasties and how they would have lived in their natural habitat over 300 million years ago...what could go wrong?

I have an Ethiopian friend who's teaching me how to make T'ella... I can't find the purple huskless barley anywhere though (they call it black barley). Do people typically make mbege in small batches in soda bottles as well?

Well, that's the problem when you want to get out of the mainstream. Can't your Ethiopian friend have somebody at his country to send you some? You can probably send them the money, and have them send you a few Lbs of it...

I don't know about mbege. I know somebody tried to brew it in the past, but they didn't use the right recipe (they used hops). I'm anticipating that finding the quinine bark (for bittering) is gonna be a PITA, but I've seen online that some places sell quinine tea. Now I have to find out if I can use that...

Not a problem. I was recently contacted by a high ranking ethiopian official who apparently owes me 50 million dollars. I'm sure I can help you out! ;)

As for secret experimental beers, I have one going right now. I plan on posting the results/recipe when everything is finished, but i want to wait until I can put all the info into a few posts instead of updating the same thread 30 times.

Well, that's the problem when you want to get out of the mainstream. Can't your Ethiopian friend have somebody at his country to send you some? You can probably send them the money, and have them send you a few Lbs of it...

I don't know about mbege. I know somebody tried to brew it in the past, but they didn't use the right recipe (they used hops). I'm anticipating that finding the quinine bark (for bittering) is gonna be a PITA, but I've seen online that some places sell quinine tea. Now I have to find out if I can use that...

Hm interesting. I bet you can find that stuff somehow... it sounds tougher to find than what I need though.

maybe this? http://www.zooscape.com/cgi-bin/maitred/GreenCanyon/questp513835/r04

My friend's family is actually from Minnesota ('from' meaning lives there now, haha) and there's a big Ethiopian population there. She's since moved to St. Louis but will be going up there soon and will be mailing me some supplies for making t'ella and te'j (which is the honey wine that makes up part of Dogfish Head's Bitches Brew). The bittering agent they use in Ethiopia is gesho and the yeast lives on gesho sticks and leaves. They actually call gesho 'hops' which is kind of confusing.

sticks1a.jpg

^ gesho sticks

Eventually once I get it down I plan on making a thread with info on how to make te'j and t'ella. I've been helping my friend come up with a carbonated version of te'j... the issue is that the gesho is relied upon for the yeast so you always get an infection, thus the drinks are meant to be had relatively young (both are usually drank before fermentation finishes), so the carbonating process could take too long and just result in sourness. It would be awesome to isolate the yeast strain but she has zero microbio background and I lack the supplies, so I'm having her try a short boil and champagne yeast. I don't detect any yeasty flavors so I don't think it will change much about the flavor. I didn't realize she was making this stuff all the time, when I told her she had a homebrew/winemaking shop within a mile of her place she was kinda shocked, haha... makes it a lot easier to produce fermented beverages!

I've learned that recipes for both, but especially the beer, vary a LOT between individuals... typically everyone is making this stuff at home and has their own ways of doing it. So if I can't find the black barley that's in my friend's family recipe I'll just have to come up with my own family recipe!

So I guess that's my "secret project", hopefully soon I can share what I've learned though! There's surprisingly little information about these drinks out there and they're both really tasty and relatively easy to make... I mean, you can make them without even knowing what a homebrew store is!

Mango Habanero brew just sounds awesome!

And most "secrets" in beer have been done by someone since a lot of brewers like to throw stuff in the pot and see what happens. However, there can be particular combinations of ingredients that are not commonly brewed.

As for the "secret" yeast, it has been brewed with. But the manner in which I am attempting to culture it from is a bit of a long shot. I just don't want to settle for the yeast used in it's stead, since it's may not be as authentic as the name would suggest.

My flask does seem to show some sort of particulates forming, though I'll have to give it more time to see if it is actually yeast. If it is, I'm gonna need another flask or two.

Heck if this works, home brewers may be able to start brewing "ancient" beers. lol

Mango Habanero brew just sounds awesome!

And most "secrets" in beer have been done by someone since a lot of brewers like to throw stuff in the pot and see what happens. However, there can be particular combinations of ingredients that are not commonly brewed.

As for the "secret" yeast, it has been brewed with. But the manner in which I am attempting to culture it from is a bit of a long shot. I just don't want to settle for the yeast used in it's stead, since it's may not be as authentic as the name would suggest.

My flask does seem to show some sort of particulates forming, though I'll have to give it more time to see if it is actually yeast. If it is, I'm gonna need another flask or two.

Heck if this works, home brewers may be able to start brewing "ancient" beers. lol

Yeast infection beer? :eek:

Hm interesting. I bet you can find that stuff somehow... it sounds tougher to find than what I need though.

It's all a matter of patience. For what I've found out, millet can be found at pet stores, and I found the quinine tea online, so I'm not worried. For what I've seen about t'ella, yo can also use finger millet or sorghum, so you may get a break there...

Yeah, that's the one I saw. I guess I'll be buying a bag soon enough.:rockin:

My friend's family is actually from Minnesota ('from' meaning lives there now, haha) and there's a big Ethiopian population there. She's since moved to St. Louis but will be going up there soon and will be mailing me some supplies for making t'ella and te'j (which is the honey wine that makes up part of Dogfish Head's Bitches Brew). The bittering agent they use in Ethiopia is gesho and the yeast lives on gesho sticks and leaves. They actually call gesho 'hops' which is kind of confusing.

You could go there, or ask somebody to find the stuff for you. Normally, in cities with a big foreign population, there's plenty of stores that sell stuff from that country.
Yeah, I read about gesho. They use the leaves for the t'ella. I'm guessing the biggest problem we're both gonna have, is the impossibility of getting the fresh stuff, like they most likely use in Africa. There's always a big taste difference between fresh and dried vegetable materials.

Eventually once I get it down I plan on making a thread with info on how to make te'j and t'ella. I've been helping my friend come up with a carbonated version of te'j... the issue is that the gesho is relied upon for the yeast so you always get an infection, thus the drinks are meant to be had relatively young (both are usually drank before fermentation finishes), so the carbonating process could take too long and just result in sourness.

You could always kill the fermentation with some potassium sorbate, and then force carbonate. Just make sure you add a crushed campden tablet, so you don't get any off flavors off the potassium sorbate.

It would be awesome to isolate the yeast strain but she has zero microbio background and I lack the supplies, so I'm having her try a short boil and champagne yeast. I don't detect any yeasty flavors so I don't think it will change much about the flavor. I didn't realize she was making this stuff all the time, when I told her she had a homebrew/winemaking shop within a mile of her place she was kinda shocked, haha... makes it a lot easier to produce fermented beverages!

I'd go with small batches (maybe 1/2 gallon each), and have your friend taste them, until you get the flavor right. Short of laboratory equipment, that'd be the best way to get the right strain of yeast. Then, once you have it, you can cultivate from it. Other than that, champagne is always my first choice, because it doesn't introduce any strong flavor to the brew, and it's tough as nails. I have pitched dry champagne directly into the chick pea "wort", and had it bubbling consistently within 15 minutes.

I've learned that recipes for both, but especially the beer, vary a LOT between individuals... typically everyone is making this stuff at home and has their own ways of doing it. So if I can't find the black barley that's in my friend's family recipe I'll just have to come up with my own family recipe!

Yeah they do. It's the same in my country. My family has their own recipes for plum wine, grape "aguardiente" (kinda like moonshine, but made with fruit), sauces, etc. It's kinda like a double edged sword: it makes it difficult to get the "right" recipe, but at the same time, since there's so much variation, it makes it more difficult to be completely wrong...

So I guess that's my "secret project", hopefully soon I can share what I've learned though! There's surprisingly little information about these drinks out there and they're both really tasty and relatively easy to make... I mean, you can make them without even knowing what a homebrew store is!

I will have to hold you to it. I want to try it too, once you get the right recipe.:mug:

Sprecher Brewing put on a mbege. never had it.

Yeah, they're the ones I was talking about, I just didn't remember their name. But they didn't use the right recipe. They used barley and hops (neither of which are used in the real mbege), basically making just a banana beer.

It has been done. a couple years ago some "artist" from out in the left coast did it.

I made a beer in college that was a little "off". I made a label called Yeast Infection and gave it out as a white elephant gift. It went over quite interestingly.

:off:Wow its funny you mentioned this. I was at whole foods the other day and saw black barley and immediately started to think of brewing uses for it. I see you are also in MA. It was at the whole foods on route 3 in Woburn.

This is a beer forum. The subject is about beer. This thread is about beer. Soda has nothing to do with this.

Ok, you win. Is that what you want to read? There you have it: you win. Congratulations.

In beer, as well as in soda, as well as in every other thing known to man, he who knows (and keeps) the secret about something (yeah, even beer) has the power over it.

But yeah, this is a beer forum. You win.

Ok, you win. Is that what you want to read? There you have it: you win. Congratulations.

In beer, as well as in soda, as well as in every other thing known to man, he who knows (and keeps) the secret about something (yeah, even beer) has the power over it.

But yeah, this is a beer forum. You win.
It's called reading comprehension. Here is the opening sentence of the original post:

So I was wonderin' if there's anyone else like me that have beer recipes and experiments they keep under wraps?

And you think we are talking about soda? Sheesh.

There is no beer recipe in existence that is worth more than the paper its is written upon.

:off:Wow its funny you mentioned this. I was at whole foods the other day and saw black barley and immediately started to think of brewing uses for it. I see you are also in MA. It was at the whole foods on route 3 in Woburn.

Oh nice! I have a small one near me and a huuge one. I bet the huge one has it.

Thanks!

Yes, I've recently come into some mosquitoes preserved in amber, I'm hoping to harvest some pre-historic yeast, clone the yeast, and make a huge yeast theme park on a large island. People will be able to ride through the park in cars on a track, seeing all the yeasties and how they would have lived in their natural habitat over 300 million years ago...what could go wrong?

This made me seriously laugh at my desk. Well done.

Back