stirring mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuffstuff152

Reaction score
I just finished up making three one-gallon batches of mead, all different recipes. Right now they are in air-locked plastic primaries. Im just wondering if the mead will need to be stirred? Ive read posts that say people stir their mead daily, especially if its an open fermentation. But if its a closed fermentation should i still pop the tops off to stir? if so how often???

No, do not open. You may want to shake it a little to re-suspend yeast if it needs it. A really high OG and depending on the yeast may need a little push, but as long as you aerated well before pitching everything should be fine. Otherwise leave the yeast alone to do their job.

Kauai is right....I have "Swirled" some carboys of mead on occasion. Mostly because I have a bad OCD Disorder and cant' stand a ring at the top of a carboy. It has perked up activity on slow ferments, but I'd never compromise the bacterial security of the fermentor just to stir. It's just not worth whatever benefit that you may gain.

Back