pumpkin mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pritch05

Reaction score
I started a batch 2 weeks ago. Just a 2 gallon batch, it started bubbling the next day but after about a week and a half it has stopped. I am thinking of shaking it back up add some yeast nutrient and pitch another batch of must. I am open to suggestions or ideas. Thanks.

ForumRunner_20130115_105712.png

It's probably fine. Once the glucose is digested by the yeast, they started to work on the harder-to-digest sucrose, which takes longer and will not result in very many airlock bubbles. You should take a gravity reading, and then another in a week, to be certain.

It might... you don't need to add more yeast and energizer if the mead is fine. Did you take an original gravity reading? What is the current gravity?

I didn't take an original measurement, but now it's a little below 1.0 like a .998. I don't understand what that means.

I am ready to rack it to the secondary I want to put it on more pumpkin and vanilla, and I figure another 2 pounds of honey. Should I add yeast nutrient? Will the fermentation start up on it's own again?

I am ready to rack it to the secondary I want to put it on more pumpkin and vanilla, and I figure another 2 pounds of honey. Should I add yeast nutrient? Will the fermentation start up on it's own again?

In most cases, your answer will be that as long as there are viable yeast in a hospitable environment available then they should kick up the ferment again. Too much nutrient can have a detrimental effect and it is only added at certain times, so my answer would likely be no to that.

Whwn did you start the original must and what was your recipe, including yeast?

Do you have a smaller carboy, far too much headspace?

I started this batch on Jan 6th. I am going to be racking it into 2 separate 1 gallon containers.

• Yeast: Lalvin 71B-1122 1 pac
• 6 pounds of orange blossom honey
• 2 gallon of spring water
• 28 ounces of pumpkin
• 2 teaspoon of cinnamon
• ½ teaspoon nutmeg
• ½ teaspoon cloves
• 1 orange peel

Pritch....I think making the additions to secondary should be just fine...the ferment should re-establish. Just remember that this last leg, since it is mead, can take some time to finish out.
I would opt out of energizer/nutrient additions at this point. You may want to review the sticky on staggered nutrient additions, aka SNA.
I have a pumpkin chai mead clearing and it is going to be a good one. Best of luck to you!

I did this to my mix today before I read your reply, so hopefully my small amount on nutrient I added doesn't hurt, and it starts working the airlock soon.

Divided in to 2 gallon jugs
2 # orange blossom honey per gal
8oz pumpkin
1 gallon added 1 raspberry tea bag
1/2 teaspoon of nutrient per gallon

I did this to my mix today before I read your reply, so hopefully my small amount on nutrient I added doesn't hurt, and it starts working the airlock soon.

Divided in to 2 gallon jugs
2 # orange blossom honey per gal
8oz pumpkin
1 gallon added 1 raspberry tea bag
1/2 teaspoon of nutrient per gallon

You should be fine with the minimal addition of nutrient. What is 1.38, do you mean a current SG before adding everything, and was it 1.038?

Yes the current SG is 1.038 that is after everything has been added. Before I added anything it was .998. It has been 24 hours and the air locks aren't moving at all. I am curious if I should add a new yeast to them to get them started going again? I will look into the SNA...

This is how it is looking after 24 hours after racking.

Give it 72hours, make sure the.must is on the warm side of the temp range for the yeast you used. Do not count on airlock activity right now, rather look/listen for the fine sizzle on surface, or you may see some hydrometer change in a few days-but at the tail end like this the ferment may slow down.

Back