Lager Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScoobyKnows

Reaction score
I brewed my first lager two weeks ago...an Oktoberfest Marzen. It was my first lager and my first partial mash AND this will be my first kegging experience. (I'm like a triple virgin of sorts huh:drunk:) I have been doing extract brewing for 4 very long years. The temp is my basement has been a steady 55 degrees for the last two weeks. So here's my question: If I want to prime with corn sugar, when do I add the sugar? Do I do that now or after it has lagered for 4 months or so? Just don't want to screw it up. I have a 5 pound Co2 tank so I guess I could force carb but I guess at this point I would like to save the money and just carb naturally. Any input would be appreciated.

On a totally different note, I am starting my keezer build also! I have the wife's permission to have in our dining room as long as it turns out nice. Not sure how to take that but whatever right!

I ordered 3 more partial mash kits on Monday from Austin Homebrew...an imperial IPA, an Imperial Oktoberfest, and an Oaked Imperial Whiskey Stout. I guess I just love the high octane stuff :rockin:

Scooby

If you have finished your brew and are ready to lager, you can add the sugar you are using to prime with and let the beer carbonate in a warm place. When carbonation has been achieved, you can then lager your brew.
You can also lager it first and then remove to a warm place and carbonate it then.

If you have finished your brew and are ready to lager, you can add the sugar you are using to prime with and let the beer carbonate in a warm place. When carbonation has been achieved, you can then lager your brew.
You can also lager it first and then remove to a warm place and carbonate it then.

Yep, finished the brew...I hit my targets right on. I appreciate the reply boo boo. So there's no real difference either way huh?

If I had a kegging system I would force carb it. The one step in the process that I always feel the most vulnerable is the bottling/carbing. I've had multiple beers taste great after the secondary only to have the bottled brew be a total flop, like my current IPA. It is drinkable, but only after you release the gas and let the volcano happen for about 15 minutes. You've lost about a quarter of the bottle by then.

Carb it now, lager it in the bottle. I agree with the above, though; I would force carb it...in which case just lager it in the keg.

Back