I am starting to brew beer and wife wants to make root beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjc8870

Reaction score
I am looking to buy necessary equipment/kit to make root beer. My wife used to make it when she was little with her grand parents.

Is their a kit to get started? Can someone point me in right direction on equipment to use and how to make root beer.

Thanks,

Mike

Easiest is to make it from concentrate. You shouldn't need anything more than what you have for brewing beer. It is pretty much all the same minus the fermenting stage. If you are kegging it is even easier as you can totally skip the yeast/sugar/condition part.

There are a couple good threads with root beer recipes and information already.

Thanks. I think I will start off with the plastic bottles with screw caps. Which extract do you recommend for that old fashioned taste? I am glad I can reuse beer equipment for root beer.

I've only made one root beer but it turned out great. It's still carbonating in the keg but it doesn't stop me from drinking it :p I used Rainbow Soda - Birch Root Beer Extract. It has a nice bite to it but it tastes a little like root beer barrel candy....good or bad depending on what you like.

I don't know what you are making your stuff in, but don't use the same buckets or keg lines for root beer that you do for your regular beer. That root beer flavor gets into everything and doesn't go away.

I put an (unopened) bottle of extract in a cabinet. Everything smelled like rootbeer. Potent stuff.

Back