issues with your brew? It may be your extract.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I wouldn't shoot down extracts. There have been many award given to extracts. IMO, extracts take the work out of making beer. There are even folks out there that say they can't taste the difference between AG and extracts, and of course, vice versa with others as well. Extracts are great for us who do not have the time, resources or the needed space.
In any event, you should start with extracts to learn the procedures and the techniques. Also, look at the date that article was written. A lot has changed since then.

I can do an extract brew in less than a couple of hours.
I only do an AG if I have a spare day. (It makes for a relaxed brew session)

You should still try an AG brew though.

Dont get me wrong, I am a fan of simplicity and that means extract. Just trying to heighten awarness among fellow brewers.

I realized that it was an old writ after I'd posted, but Id still like to see some real evidence that things have in fact changed. The sad truth is that manufacturers of extract can indeed quadruple their net gains by substituting some corn sugar for extract.

Its too bad the article didnt at least tell us who the straight up manufacturers were so we would know who to use.

Anyway, after a bit of poking around I decided that Im going to begin supplementing my extract brews with yeast nutrients and try to avoid adding additional sugars per the articles suggestions.

All education is good. Good article and yes it is better to have your eyes open.
You normally get what you pay for in a kit. A good Kit should boast about being 100% malt.

Also stay away from the kits that suggest you use table sugar, they have no respect for the end product and are just for people who want cheap beer!

I get all my extract from my LHBS, which has giant metal barrels full of them. So far, it's been out of sight on the quality. I talked to one of the owners, and she said they go through the pale LME really quickly. The amber and dark don't move as fast, but I still think it's fresh and very high quality. All my beers have been consistently good so far. I'm about to bottle my first batch that uses dark LME though, so we'll see if that holds up. :cross:

You guys over there have it good when it come to LHBS, ours are a reducing in number and quality. Home brew in the UK is not as fashionable as it used to be.

Major Department stores always had a shelf full oh HB stuff but no longer stock it.
Most LHBS don't stock bulk anything and therefore the prices are more expensive.

That's one of the main reasons I went AG. I only need to visit a HBS a couple of times a year.

orfy said:
Also stay away from the kits that suggest you use table sugar, they have no respect for the end product and are just for people who want cheap beer!

Hey, I want cheap beer. That's why I brew AG, lol. Cheaper than I can buy it for here. And better tasting too.

That article had a date of 1993. I do believe a lot of things have changed for the better. You can make a pretty good brew using extracts so don't sell it short. It is a great way to learn the process.

If you're really worried about the quality of beer made with extracts, then start worrying about the quality of your extract. Briess and Northwestern both make great LME and don't adulterate it in any way. As for FAN, just get some WYeast nutrient. It's great stuff.

Blender said:
That article had a date of 1993. I do believe a lot of things have changed for the better. You can make a pretty good brew using extracts so don't sell it short. It is a great way to learn the process.
Ditto, it's my understanding that extract manufacturers have increased the quality of the extracts a lot in the last 13 years........

slacker said:
As for FAN, just get some WYeast nutrient. It's great stuff.

Yup! Thats what I ordered. Im going to begin adding it to every batch whether it needs it or not..

Back