Naturally carbonating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theonecynic

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have two barrels of beer which I transferred to the barrel and primed this weekend: a Belgian beer (Deathbrewer & Saccharomyces' De Koninck clone) which was in primary for ~two weeks and was barrelled on Saturday, and a pale which was in primary for a week and then secondary for two, and which I only transferred last night.

Now I'm going home tomorrow and won't be coming back until the 21st April; I want my beer to be ready to drink on the 2nd May (after exams!) so I have a quandary... I can stick the barrels in the shed where it averages to about 7 C (google informs me this is about 45 F) to settle down nicely but without a few days to prime properly, or I can leave the barrels indoors, where I can guarantee you one of my housemates will either forget or not know how to turn off the heating when they leave and it'll remain about 20 C (68 F), where the yeast'll happily do its work, but as I won't be able to move the things until quite late, they may not clear in time for my marathon session! What do you guys recommend?

Also, would leaving the beer to condition at room temp for that long cause off flavours somehow? Shouldn't do I know but then I haven't tried it before.

Sorry about the length!

Leaving the beer to condition at 20C/68F is a perfect temp to condition. It needs to stay at that temp to carb and condition so I wouldn't put it outside at 7C until at least 3 weeks. Good luck on those exams. :mug:

Thanks very much, they'll stay put then! And cheers, at least I've got a bit of time off to revise!

Back