Use corny instead of bottling bucket????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brocster

Reaction score
Just wondering if this sounds plausible...

I almost exclusively keg, but once in a while I need to bottle. Usually it is for a friend that is splitting half of a 10 gallon batch, my half going to a keg, his/her half to bottles (and naturally carbing the bottles).

Here is my thought, instead of transferring beer to a bottling bucket, stirring in the sugar solution (DME or corn) and then letting gravity take over through the spigot and bottle filler....

How about transferring to a corny, adding sugar solution, put about 5 psi on the keg and fill bottles with the ghetto racking cane I use for bottling carbed beer attached to a picnic tap? Cap and store as normal?

Seems like less chance for problems with oxygen, a more flexible filling station because you are not stuck to one location under a bucket, and easier cleaning, since you can just quickly rinse with some oxyclean and water, and then fill with a little starsan/water mix (which I usually leave in my kegs when empty anyways.

thoughts?

Thanks!

Wow! Why didn't I think of that! No reason it shouldn't work and only downside is having to clean the keg before and after. 2 thumbs up!

or perhaps "loan" the keg, cobra tap, and a tank?

that method would work better than transferring carbd beer from a keg to bottle.

Just to clarify...this is not transferring carbed beer. It is taking beer from the fermenter (primary or secondary - depends) and putting into bottles to carb there. I was just thinking that doing this from a corny might be easier.

Rack beer from fermenter (being very careful to not disturb trub. I use gelatin and cold crash, so this should be mitigated) to corny. Add in sugar solution, seal and purge. Shake lightly to mix sugar, then keep psi at 4-5 lbs. Bottle from picnic tap with homemade pressure filler, cap, and away we go. Clean the keg as normal and store.....

I've used my cornies as "bottling buckets" before and find it much easier and faster. It was also uncarbed beer and I pushed it with about 3 psi. I took the spring and cap off of the bottling wand and basically jambed the tube into a picnic tap which fits well. I then placed the bottling wand in the bottle and opened the picnic tap.

The nice thing is the lack of O2 exposure and the fact that if you lock the picnic tap open your hands are free while the bottle is filling to quickly do something else. Also, the bottles filled much faster and I was able to blow through 2 cases quickly. Unfortunately you still have to clean and sanitize bottles.....yuck. It does work very well and I love the reduced O2 exposure especially if you fill the corny from a Sanke fermentor by pushing with CO2.

Back