Cooler weldless fitting.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aekdbbop

Reaction score
bought this:
kk-thermothingy.jpg

when I got it in, it looks as if the long metal part is too long for my cooler..

5436-IMG00134.jpg

what do you think..

maybe I am not thinking about this right, just wanted to make sure it will work before I drill a hole in my cooler..

thanks!

I would screw the thing together as tight as you can and then take a measurement of the gap. If it's bigger than the wall of your cooler, it may not work. Also look at the bottom of the cooler where you plan on drilling. Sometimes because of the angle it will be thicker so it may work. Calipers come in real handy for these kinds of things.

I guess I could use a few more washers to make it longer.. woo more modding things that i shouldnt need to mod!

i looked and couldnt find smaller than a 2" nip online.. maybe wasnt looking in the right places

aekdbbop said:
bought this:
kk-thermothingy.jpg

when I got it in, it looks as if the long metal part is too long for my cooler..

did you buy this from all seasons? i just got one last weekend. its for a probe thermometer, right?

mine only came with one o-ring inside and my probe does not fit snugly.

also, my cooler is 1-inch thick where I drilled it and the thing is not as tight as I would like it.

i havent tested it yet though because I need to get the drain and manifold hooked up, which I also planned on buying from them.

not to hijack but.....anyone know where I can get those tiny o-rings that would help seal up my probe?

Lowes sells them over by the fittings/faucet repair kits. I used #70 or something like that. They don't coincide at all with the ASTM numbering scheme, but you can take them out of the package and try it on the probe. I used something like 5 Orings in a stack to get a nice seal.

Bobby_M said:
Lowes sells them over by the fittings/faucet repair kits. I used #70 or something like that. They don't coincide at all with the ASTM numbering scheme, but you can take them out of the package and try it on the probe. I used something like 5 Orings in a stack to get a nice seal.

Thanks Bobby...i may try to get a nipple there to.

what i got from NB

Hi,

It looks like our coolers are a bit thicker! You can make it work, you would just need a handful of washers - about once inch's worth, to be precise. Alternatively, our kettle bulkhead might work for you. The kettle bulkhead is designed for less than 1/2".

Cheers,

Ken

Northern Brewer, Ltd.
1-800-681-2739

You might want to just get yourself a really big hex nut that will act as a thick washer on the outside. It doesn't have to be stainless and it will be cheaper than paying shipping on a new stainless nipple. Alternatively, you can settle for a brass nipple and buy it locally.

OK, aperently i got the wrong thing

I have a few 1/2" mpt thermometers with 1/4" stem..

the thing i bought takes a 1/8" stem.

so i guess I need something like this:
thermabob.jpg

but NB wants 18 bucks for that.. Im sure the parts are out there for cheaper.. McMaster maybe?

Even the stainless nut without the machining is really expensive. If you don't mind brass, I've seen them for $2 or so. The silicone Orings can be had on Ebay from Brown Supply and the washer is a 3/4" stainless that you can get at Lowes.

Latest posts

Back