Mr. Beer Canadian Draft

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chickenpickin

Reaction score
I just started a 4 gal. brew of Mr. Beer Canadian Draft refill kit. I actually combined two refill kits to make the 4 gal. I added 1 lb. of rice syrup solids to the mix. I wanted to kick the abv up a little but I was curious as to what to expect taste wise with the rice solids added. Did I screw up by adding that?

Depends on the type of beer you like... I think it will be a dry beer. I highly suggest fermenting this one around 65 or maybe a little cooler even (fermenter temp, not ambient) and give it some time, like at least 3 weeks in the fermenter so you don't wind up with much or any cidery flavors. I only did about 4 Mr Beer batches before jumping to 5 gal all grain batches and the last batch was 2.5 gallons with 2 cans of the HCCD, 1lb ultra-light DME, and a pack of the booster along with about .5oz Northern Brewer hops. It hasn't carbe'd and conditioned yet so I can't tell you much other than mine is a strong, hoppy monster.

I guess I should have let it ferment an extra week. I just taste tested a bottle after only 8 days in the bottle. It tastes like a hard apple cider. It is big time carbonated too. I may have to pour this batch out. I'll give it another week and try one. I should have never used the 1 lb. of rice solids. OG was 1.056 and FG was 1.020. After 14 days fermenting I checked the Gravity 3 days in a row and it stayed at 1.020. I just checked the bottle I just tasted and it's still 1.020. It's carbonated like a champagne. I used 3/4 teaspoon per bottle. Granulated sugar.

I do realize that it's still pretty green after 8 days of bottle conditioning but I don't think I'm going to like this one.

chickenpickin said:
I guess I should have let it ferment an extra week. I just taste tested a bottle after only 8 days in the bottle. It tastes like a hard apple cider. It is big time carbonated too. I may have to pour this batch out. I'll give it another week and try one. I should have never used the 1 lb. of rice solids. OG was 1.056 and FG was 1.020. After 14 days fermenting I checked the Gravity 3 days in a row and it stayed at 1.020. I just checked the bottle I just tasted and it's still 1.020. It's carbonated like a champagne. I used 3/4 teaspoon per bottle. Granulated sugar.

I do realize that it's still pretty green after 8 days of bottle conditioning but I don't think I'm going to like this one.

At 1.020, it got stuck while fermenting- yeast must have not liked the rice much and went dormant. When you bottle, you end up stirring it up a little, and it probably took another couple of points off, leading to overcarbonation. Be glad Mr Beer gives you plastic bottles- glass might not have held.
If you don't like it now, throw it in a dark corner and forget about it. One day, three months, six months, or even a year later, you'll find it again, and try it. I bet it'll improve, but only time will tell if its just less nasty, adequate, or perhaps even pretty good.

Raenon said:
If you don't like it now, throw it in a dark corner and forget about it. One day, three months, six months, or even a year later, you'll find it again, and try it. I bet it'll improve, but only time will tell if its just less nasty, adequate, or perhaps even pretty good.

+1 for letting it sit a while. If you still don't like it, it is still great for cooking!

Bratwurst, beer bread, beef stew... just about anything that calls for water can sub beer! :)

It is in glass bottles.....12 oz....and has been for 8 days. I'm thinking I would have already had bottle bombs by now.......Talk about a head on a beer....man!!I think I'll try another bottle in a couple weeks.

I wish now I had spent the money on another great pale ale like my last one.

Back