Too Warm To Ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMagicHatter

Reaction score
This past summer I moved into a new place and found that the basement is always warm. I think at one point it was around 80 degrees.

I don't have room to purchase a chest freezer to install a temperature controller or have the space for an extra fridge with a controller.

Is there any type of beer I can brew that will ferment within that temperature range? I'll brew any kind of beer that can ferment at a high temp, just because I can.

Any ideas?

Maybe some Belgians. Try the old swamp cooler thing. Place the fermenter in one of those big beer tubs they sell at wally world. Put water in the tub and use old frozen water bottles to keep the bath cool.

Don't be afraid to use a water bath and frozen 2-liters!

- Freeze 2 or 3 80% filled 2-liter pop bottles
- place your carboy into a cooler with water as high as it'll go, minus 2" or so
- rotate your frozen 2-liters to keep the water surrounding your carboy cool

works for me!

I bought a giant rope tube at walmart (my place is always 70-80 year round,hotter in the summer, So far this winter hasn't been very cold and my first beer jumped up way to warm, but my second was at a constant 68F. I put the fermenter into the rope tub filled it with water to the 5 gallon mark on the fermenter bucket, and rotated out ice packs every 8-10 hours and it really kept it below 70 above 67 almost 100% stable 68 with a ambient changing from 70-75-80 back to 70 my fermenter stayed at 68f. so as a newbie I highly recommend that

Thanks for the input, gang.

I never thought about going with the old swamp bucket, but that sure as hell makes a lot of sense.

It also sounds like I'll be trying out some Saison recipes as well!

+1 to the swamp cooler suggestions.

I had an old plastic storage tote i couldnt find the lid for. I put my FV in it and fill her up to the 5 gallon mark on the vessel. I rotate 4 or so 20 oz. frozen bottles and so far have been keeping it around 65-68.

You can also wrap an od shirt or towel around the vessel to draw heat away.

Closet in bedroom? I'm sure you don't keep your bedroom at 80 in the summer, do you? Also it's still cold in PA...better get your lagers going now! :)

if you have room for a tub like that, you have room for a mini fridge with a temp control... just sayin ;)

If the air is dry (low humidity), you can just wrap your fermentor in a wet towel and keep it wet. Evaporative cooling may be all you need. For an added boost, point a fan at it and wet it more often.

Back