AHS extract Arrogant Bastard clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huntley

Reaction score
I bought the Arrogant Bastard clone kit a few weeks ago along with a few items to assist in making starters for future heavy beers. I didn't realize it when I ordered, but apparently it's not normal to make a starter using dry yeast. I read several threads on this site and decided that I would go ahead and do it anyway. I used approximately 4 oz of extra light DME with 2 cups of water. There was obvious evidence of fermentation, and I swirled it every so often. There was eventually a half inch or so of yeast cake at the bottom of the beaker, so I cold crashed it in the fridge to allow me to siphon off the extra liquid. I left just enough to allow me to swirl it and create a slurry for pitching.

The brew went well and I used my wort chiller to cool the wort to 76° in about 15 mins. I hit the expected OG of 1.074. I then pitched my starter slurry and waited. About 8 hours later it was bubbling, and then another hour or two later I checked and it had foamed up through the airlock. I changed that out in favor of the blowoff tube. I put everything in my swamp cooler bucket, which was a good decision because it continued to foam through the night and made quite a mess inside the bucket. After 28-30 hours, it was obvious that it was no longer foaming, so I put the airlock back in and cleaned everything up. It was still pretty active with 3-4 bubbles per second. Now here we are 4 hours later (so the 32-34 hour mark) and it's down to about 1 bubble/second.

The unfortunate part of the whole thing is that I lost about 0.25 gallons due to all the foaming.

I'll keep the thread updated as time goes along. If anyone has any tips on how to control the foaming, I'm all ears. I love AB, so assuming this kit turns out well (which the reviews say it will), I will be brewing this again.

Now for an update. This is the second ever batch that I've kegged (first was a week before this one - AHS Anniversary Wit). It's been in the keg for about a week, so it's not completely carbed yet, but aside from that, it has a distinct alcohol taste to it.

Within the first day or two of primary fermentation, I noticed that the temperature was up to about 78°, so I added some water to my swamp cooler tub to get it back down to 70ish. I'm assuming this high fermentation temp (sweet spot for the Danstar Nottingham yeast is 57-70). At this point, I hope letting it sit for a few more weeks will allow it to work itself out. Its drinkable, but it's definitely not Arrogant Bastard.

I brewed an AB clone last year, and it took about 3 weeks in the keg for it start tasting like AB. Prior to that, it had a definite alcohol taste... it was very harsh/ astringent. My advice would be to give it a couple of weeks and see how it shapes up.

Back