WLP007 strange starter behavior, or normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kurisu

Reaction score
I'm not too worried, but I haven't seen this before so I'd thought I'd ask. I made a starter for WLP007 Dry English Ale Yeast (4 liters on a stir plate).

0 hours - At the start it looked like tiny pieces of yeast in wort. So far so good.
8 hours - After sleep it looked like chocolate milk. That's good.
24 hours - Then I went to work. At around 24 hours after pitching it looked like clear wort with chunks of yeast flying around in it. Sort of like chunks of hot break (I decanted off the hot break material when making the starter, so I'm pretty sure this is just chunks of yeast).

I've just never seen yeast do that before. My other starters (Wyeast European Ale, Wyeast Denny's Favorite) did not do that -- they were more like chocolate milk all the way to the end. Is this just how WLP007 behaves?

Thanks!

With it being such a high floc yeast, it tends to chunk up a bit. I have a stepped up starter of it right now chilling in the fridge. Don't worry, perfectly normal.

This is normal for 007. It flocs like crazy. My starters spin for 36 hours at room temp, and 007 is always floc'd out into large clumps by then.

Interesting. Good to know that's to be expected. Brewing the Dogfish Head 90 clone today and my starter's doing the same thing.

Here's what mine looks like at 24 hours. If I let it stop spinning, it chunks up even more.

photo.JPG

Yes indeed! That's what it looks like. I run my plate a little slower than you, maybe half that size dimple in the center. Makes it easier for me to see when dustier strains are done growing and starting to stratify.

:mug:

Back