New beer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christianb17

Reaction score
Im about to start a chocolate milk stout and wasnt sure what type of chocolate to use , if I should use chocolate malt instead, or use both? I'm not sure what effects the different types of chocolates will have. Any suggestions?

Ya but some one told me that some chocolate stouts use only chocolate malt so I wasnt sure

Christianb17 said:
Ya but some one told me that some chocolate stouts use only chocolate malt so I wasnt sure

Technichally it isn't a style so that isn't right nor wrong. These days if u call it chocolate, people expect chocolate flavor.

Chocolate malt is mainly used for nutty, toasted flavor...and for color. You should definitely use some in your recipe, but if you want a good chocolate flavor, use baking chocolate (unsweetened, I believe). Just add it to the last 5 minutes of the boil. I think a few ounces would do.

Anybody have any tips for adding chocolate to secondary ?? I was going to use nibs but worry they'll be too bitter and take to long to mellow. Any suggestions ?

I may get criticized by some here for this - as it is non-traditional - but I have had excellent results using 12 oz of Hersey's Syrup (the kind that comes in cans) at flameout.

My LHBS has chocolate extract (liquid) that I used on the last Chocolate Milk Stout that I made. Only 5 oz. for a 5 Gal batch. Had just a slight hint of chocolate. Very tasty.

It's funny that this thread came up when it did. My AHS Double Chocolate Stout should be here tomorrow (according to UPS). I'd been doing research for the past few days about which kind of chocolate works best and how much to use. It seems like it's another one of those things where there are as many opinions as there are (kids in bars, best chili, best BBQ, etc.,etc..) types of chocolate. I picked up 10 oz. of Baker's unsweetened chocolate while shopping at the commissary yesterday. I'm shooting for a taste similar to Lagunitas' Cruisin' with Ruben and the Jets chocolate stout. I'll have to bottle Sunday to free up a fermenter.

Back