WLP090-San Diego Super Yeast Performance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I can say I just sampled my fully carbed autumn ale, and It is perfect....clean cans crisp letting the subtly of the spices be highlighted. I have quickly turned around and used this in a cream ale also. Strange that yours attenuated less, according to my notes the 001 I have used in this very recipe over the last few years has always attenuated less than this batch with 090 in it. I would tend to say, with a SG of 1.065, it is kind of luck of the draw to pitch straight from the vial and not have a stall somewhere. When you couple that with the aforementioned narrow temperature range, my guess is if you did it again but this time with a starter the results would be different. It is a super yeast in the areas of flocculation and attenuation, but resiliency.....perhaps not as much

So I've been reading a lot of negative comments on here about the yeast strain, but does anyone have something positive? Looking for some hope!

I made a 1.082 OG Stout the other day and pitched an English Ale yeast that has a max attenuation of 71%... did it for the flavor profile and it usually kicks out on day 3. 48hrs after fermentation started I pitched a 2ltr starter of WLP090 in hopes to achieve the 83%+ attenuation that's listed on White Labs website. Currently keeping the ferm temp at a steady 68F and the krausen is going strong!

Thoughts/Concerns/Comments?? Can anyone recommend something to help this finish out on a high note??

I think if you made a starter you'll be fine.

I have an update on the batch that I've posted about in this thread; post #32 and #40. The half that got 001 carbed up beautiful in 2.5 weeks. The batch that got 090 has only the tiniest of carbonation going on 7 week now. It's really pretty flat.

I'll have some time off next week and I had thought about opening each one and dropping in a few grains of us05 then recapping and give them a few more weeks. Or, since I just got some new kegs, I might just dump them all in a keg and force carbonate.

That wlp090. I'm. Not sure I'll be using it again any time soon.

I've used wlp090 twice and both times I finished at or below 1.010. There was minimal airlock activity as I started at 64-66* and it dropped to 62* (ambient temp)... I thought it was a very clean flavor and flocculates well. I will use it again, for sure.

I've used it twice. Imperial red ale both times.
First time: OG around 1.069, had massive blow off
Second: OG 1.078, no blowoff, but there was a very strong sulphur smell that had me very worried. Luckily it tasted great anyways.

It works fast and hard, don't have my notes in front of me, but it's a good yeast. I had no problem with bottles carbing up in a decent time.

Used this yeast for my IPA and pitched around 6 am yesterday. Came home to bubbles in the airlock 12 hours later! This is BY FAR the fastest and most active wlp090 has behaved for me (4-5 uses so far)! Maybe it's because my two step starter was the most successful I've made to date. Love it!

Used this yeast for my IPA and pitched around 6 am yesterday. Came home to bubbles in the airlock 12 hours later! This is BY FAR the fastest and most active wlp090 has behaved for me (4-5 uses so far)! Maybe it's because my two step starter was the most successful I've made to date. Love it!

Just took a gravity reading and this yeast brought my IPA from 1.072 down to 1.008! That's 8.8% abv to you and me... This micro organism can leap fermenters in a single pitch!

Sampling my Green Warrior which used wlp090... I'm drunk off of two glasses! Very clean profile to let the hops and malt shine in a balanced IPA. I'm pretty pleased with my effort!

Back