Need to borrow 1.25" Greenlee Punch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kellzey

Reaction score
Can someone mail/lend me a 1.25" Greenlee Radio/Chassis punch for punching a hole in my keggle for a heating element.

I will gladly pay S/H fee and return it as given.

I just dont' feel like paying $65 for something I'll use twice.

PM me

Thank you,

Karl Ellzey
Orlando, FL

I could send you mine, it is not a greenlee. I got it from Eastwood Co for like 20 bucks. I used it to cut the outlet box cover. But it should work on a keg. For 20 though, might be worth buying one. Might come in handy in the future.

first of all if there is any electrician on this web sight no one will lend you a knock out . stainless is so tough that it will brake the arbor or mess up the cutter in the knock out . You need to look for a carbide cutter size 1 3/4 . just food for thought .

Greenlee does make stainless KO's but your going to be hard pressed to find them. The regular ones will work but kegs are really thick and yes you just might destroy a regular KO. Call a local electrical co and ask if they will pop a hole in your keg for the price of a few beers? Or ask your LHBS and see if they have a service or tools for doing things like this in kegs?
Just some food for thought
Cheers
Jay

OK... Good to know.

Thank you!

Do you think I should just bring them to a stainless metal shop and have them do it there?

You all are getting way too complicated.
http://www.harborfreight.com/knockout-punch-kit-91201.html
For $25 + tax you can get a set. Granted it sized for electrical conduit work - but - the 3/4' punch cuts a hole very close to what you are looking for. AND you get the other 3 of them to boot.

I own the Greenlee set of the exact same sizes that I bought a bunch of years ago. It's the same damn set for a LOT more money. (I paid close to 180 bucks.!) By the way, I've used my set about 6 times total over the last 20 years.!

(Sorry - rant over.)

+1 to P-J and JKoravos...

I used a step bit from HF. Quick, easy, and cheap (it was like $10). I've used it like 20 times, and it's still good to go for at least another 20.

What's wrong with a hole saw and a file?

Lol. No kidding. I used a hole saw and a die grinder. I've made lots of holes in metal metal over the years and I never thought I needed a punch. Must be a homebrewer thing. If you don't buy a Greenlee type of punch and instead buy other tools that will enable you to make holes in metal, you will be able to make many, many other things besides holes. A punch is only good for making holes in thin metal, that's it. Go with the other tools and you will be able to do a lot more stuff.

I LOVE my Greenlee 7/8ths for making a nice hole for a keg draw tool, and I've got a bigger one coming for welding in my 1" couplers for elements.

I have not had a single problem with them and stainless steel......

this step drill works great and can be used for many other jobs

100_1656.jpg

Latest posts

Back