Stupid newbie question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish826

Reaction score
I've been perusing the site reading up on different techniques and I keep coming across the term "at flame out". I've searched and searched but can't seem to find out what part of the process of brewing this term refers too. Someone please school me. Thanks.

Thanks guys. That's what I thought, but thought it could also be a reference to something to do with chilling or the point when the yeast stops fermenting. Also, Revvy, I have to thank you for your blog on bottling. I bottled my first batch on saturday in about 45 mins. I do have a question about how you sanitize your bottles, though. I believe you posted you use something called a vinerator. I've searched for it but can't seem to find one. Do you have a link to where I can get one?

Thanks Nord. Found it. They didn't have it listed as "vinerator" and it wasn't under the bottling accessories. Actually had to go through the catalog to find it.

Ain't that the beauty? Everyone's got their own little take on things...:)

It was actually a serious question. I've always removed from the heat source after any flame out adds. I was asking Revvy cuz I know he has alotta good things to say about homebrewing. But I guess to answer your question, most folks do have their own take on things. I know I do.

It was actually a serious question. I've always removed from the heat source after any flame out adds. I was asking Revvy cuz I know he has alotta good things to say about homebrewing. But I guess to answer your question, most folks do have their own take on things. I know I do.

I am always interested in hearing what guys like Revvy have to say. You never know when you're going to get that gold nugget of info that makes your good brew great. I was just making a general observation on home brewing. I wasn't trying to suggest that you were being facetious. :)

I am always interested in hearing what guys like Revvy have to say. You never know when you're going to get that gold nugget of info that makes your good brew great. I was just making a general observation on home brewing. I wasn't trying to suggest that you were being facetious. :)

Gotcha. I thought you'd mistaken my question for sarcasm cuz of the quote. Good observation on homebrewers though! :mug:

OP:
I've been perusing the site reading up on different techniques and I keep coming across the term "at flame out". I've searched and searched but can't seem to find out what part of the process of brewing this term refers too. Someone please school me. Thanks.

At the end of the boil: turn the flame out. Add the hops. That simple. Also often referred to as the "0 min" hop addition.

Some do not physically remove the kettle from the heat source. Particularly when doing full boils it is REALLY heavy. And imagine tipping over 5 or 6 gallons of hot sticky wort!

B

Is there any added effect by removing the kettle from the heat and adding hops?

No.

What's the big deal here about it? Like someone else mentioned, who wants to move 5-50 gallons of boiling hot liquid off a scalding hot metal rack just to add hops? Turn the flame off, add the hops, start chilling. Like Scooby_Brew said, it's not rocket science.

NordeastBrewer77 implied that removing the pot is an integral part of the flameout addition process, it's not. The only thing that is an integral part of the process is turning off flame, and adding hops.

Whether you take it off or not is a matter of preference or convenience.

We sure as hell didn't lift this pot for the flameout additions on Terrapinchef's 25 gallon wedding brewday.

228604_10150243364086908_514606907_8932857_7038908_n.jpg

My brew kettle's on the deck behind terrapinchef's brother, I wouldn't even lift that one to add hops.

dfc said:
Better question... How do you wash/dry your kettle?

When he says he never takes his kettle off the heat source, he means - like most homebrewers who don't want to move their full kettle when it's dangerously heavy and hot - that he doesn't take it off the heat source until it's drained of hot wort, and possibly until the trub has cooled as well.

Then, it's a pretty simple task. My pot is large, though I brew indoors, so depending on the season, I'll either rinse it with a hose or in a shower stall in my basement that nobody uses. Then (since my kettle is stainless - a Blichmann Boilermaker to be precise), I'll take the diptube and hopblocker out and give everything a gentle scrub with some Barkeeper's Friend, rinse it all clean, and then either let it dry out quickly in the sun, less quickly in the shower, or with some paper towels.

At some point, I also heat up some oxiclean solution in it, but that isn't so much for my kettle's sake as it is a heater and reservoir for the oxiclean that I circulate through my pump, hopback, plate chiller, and, of course, all the fittings and silicone hoses that connect these things.

Cleaning a kettle this thoroughly every single time is sort of unnecessary, but my kettle is my (farkin' expensive) baby, and I like to keep it immaculate.

"...Then (since my kettle is stainless - a Blichmann Boilermaker to be precise), I'll take the diptube and hopblocker out and give everything a gentle scrub with some Barkeeper's Friend, rinse it all clean, and then either let it dry out quickly in the sun, less quickly in the shower, or with some paper towels.

QUOTE]

You say that you use stainless steel pots just as every source that I have read recommends. It looks as though other people such as the kettle in the picture use aluminum. I thought that using aluminum was not a good idea. Any differences besides the weight?

Never mind the question about the kettle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! After posting, I did a quick post search and found all the answers. (Which, I guess I hould have doen first! Yep, I'm a newbie!)

Aluminum is fine to use. People saying it's bad to brew with are misinformed.

There are other differences such as heat capacity, proneness to "hot spots" (which is a non-issue with wort), etc. The important differences though are (as far as I can think of right) what kind of fittings can be used with them (due to galvanic corrosion), and what kinds of chemicals can be used to clean them.

Personally though, I make sure that all the metal I use is stainless steel. And for sanitary reasons, EVERYTHING in my brewery (with a couple exceptions, due to a current lack of available alternatives) is made of either stainless, silicone, or glass. But I'm not going to say that you can't brew with aluminum.

NordeastBrewer77 implied that removing the pot is an integral part of the flameout addition process, it's not. The only thing that is an integral part of the process is turning off flame, and adding hops.

Whether you take it off or not is a matter of preference or convenience.

We sure as hell didn't lift this pot for the flameout additions on Terrapinchef's 25 gallon wedding brewday.

228604_10150243364086908_514606907_8932857_7038908_n.jpg

My brew kettle's on the deck behind terrapinchef's brother, I wouldn't even lift that one to add hops.
Doh!
I wasn't even thinking about big kettles like that. I do 5 gal batches on an electric stove, so I needto move my kettle over off the heat in order to chill it. No way would I suggest someone move a full kettle like you have pictured, boiling or chilled!
BTW, looks like a sweet brew day you guys had there!

on an electric stove then moving the pot might be good. but just over a little off the heat source would probably work. with natural gas or propane its very unnecessary.

I'm not sure actually physically removing the kettle from the burner would accomplish anything more after turning off the flame...electric element would, of course, be a different story.

Back