Warning signs of homebrew addiction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you're saving up for brewing sculptures and a kegging set-up even though you haven't been able to afford a honeymoon despite being married for 9 months. :cross:

OUCH! That may come back to haunt you. I am joking but serious at the same time. Women(wives) don't forget that ****. I definitely empathize though! :rockin:

When your neighbor volunteers to mow your lawn(2 + acres) so you can brew on your 1 day off this month. I didn't let him, but I brewed anyway! F..k the grass!

You are a bartender in a corporate restaurant and you think about places where you can make Ed worts apfiel wine with out anybody finding it!

Your wife comes home from the grocery store with maple syrup because she figures that whatever syrup was in the cabinet would have been added to a batch of beer.

You have dreams of non brewing co-workers making clearer beer than you and you feel the need to rectify that immediately...

After building a sculpture, you start designing the next one.

You feel an earthquake in your office in NYC and your first thoughts are for the homebrew and then for the wife.

Nice current event integration!

When you read a post about what's going on in DC and you're thankful that your fermenter is airtight so that your brand of natural disaster cannot affect your beer!

When you aren't concerned about the hurricane. Since you moved to all grain you started using propane and no longer rely on your electricity and stove.

Yet your fermetation chamber is in serious jeopardy

When instead of raiding Walmart for toilet paper and bottled water in prep for the hurricane, you're buying parts for a swamp cooler for when your ferm chamber loses power.

Or when you're buying a generator not for your home, but for your ferm chamber.

When you got your ales ready for the anniversary celebration ,put it in the fridge in time for the party the next day. Then you remember that your son quit drinking,the wife got over being sick,but quit smoking,doesn't drink with you anymore,& no one's coming. You then realize you've got plenty to drown your sorrows with,considering your bank account got raided by debtors as well:(...

unionrdr said:
When you got your ales ready for the anniversary celebration ,put it in the fridge in time for the party the next day. Then you remember that your son quit drinking,the wife got over being sick,but quit smoking,doesn't drink with you anymore,& no one's coming. You then realize you've got plenty to drown your sorrows with,considering your bank account got raided by debtors as well:(...

I think that makes you an alcoholic...jk

More like broke & lonely. Life has sucked so much a$$ lately,it's un-by-God-lieveable! Oh well,at least I'll have my IPA & English bitter to keep me company...:confused::mad::(

Ouch.

"When you're sad because there's no one to share your precious home brew with..." :tank:

I haven't read them all so I'm not sure if this has been stated.

"When you have more money in beer than money in the bank."

Oh aye,that be the situation indeed. My friends are all scattered to the four winds,no new ones,at least nearby. Dito with extended family. Now I had to scrounge the freezer for something to put in the pit for tomorrow. Sorry to hijack...just had to say it. Carry on folks...

Yeah...at least I got you folks. That's something...Sometimes you come to think about how you're at the point where life stops giving you things,& starts taking them away. Damn.

When your trip to the recycling center is part social responsibility, part "hey! Free bottles!"

When your friends all know that if they ask what kinds of beer are in the fridge that they will get descriptions instead of names.

When you can't decide what beer to buy at the liquor store, but the ones with twist caps never go home with you.

When you go through tons of oxy clean and never put it in the washing machine.

When you've been working in a chemistry storeroom for 2 years and sell it every day but isopropyl alcohol still isn't the first thing that comes to mind when a student asks for IPA.

When your time working at said storeroom is mostly spent reading HBT or looking at the flasks, stir bars, and tubing and day dreaming.

When you dig through a cardboard recycling dumpster at the closest bar looking for boxes to put your bottles in...

When your morning run on recycling day is interupted when you spot brown bottles or a box to put bottles in. I am sure my neighbors think I am nuts running with a case of beer at 6 am.

unionrdr said:
Yeah...at least I got you folks. That's something...Sometimes you come to think about how you're at the point where life stops giving you things,& starts taking them away. Damn.

Keep your chin up dude, things will eventually work out. I've been there. Quite recently too. It gets better.

In the meantime don't let yourself get into a slump and remember that people here /do/ care and will listen without judging if you want to yap :).

When you have a commercial (filtered) beer, you leave the last 1/4 to 1/2 inch of beer in the bottle by habit.

just makin room for better stuff in the future. :)

when your house is in a mandatory evacuation zone due to a hurricane, and you convince your wife that she should take the kids and go somewhere safe while you hold down the fort. In your head, holding down the fort entails bottling 5 gallons of strong scotch ale, transferring another 5 gallons of strong scotch ale to scotch soaked oak chips, and bottling 7 gallons of American barleywine, cuz, really, when else would you do it?

Staying safe would normally be the no brainer , but all the Men on my block decided they wouldd rather go down with the ship than give it up, so i'm hoping for some rain and a bit of wind, but thats it. Im holdin down the fort either way but i'd rather not
Have a full blown hurricane to deal with. That would just " blow". Haha,

Keep your chin up dude, things will eventually work out. I've been there. Quite recently too. It gets better.

In the meantime don't let yourself get into a slump and remember that people here /do/ care and will listen without judging if you want to yap :).
Thanks,just had to vent. Gotta get her to at least have a few with me,seeing as how it's our 34th & all. Geez.
just makin room for better stuff in the future. :)
Here's hopin there is something better in the future...Like another shot at the 12mil number she wouldn't let me play 20 years ago.
when your house is in a mandatory evacuation zone due to a hurricane, and you convince your wife that she should take the kids and go somewhere safe while you hold down the fort. In your head, holding down the fort entails bottling 5 gallons of strong scotch ale, transferring another 5 gallons of strong scotch ale to scotch soaked oak chips, and bottling 7 gallons of American barleywine, cuz, really, when else would you do it?
Man,you got some big brass cajouns to hang around. I'd grab my brewing stuff,make like a heard of pigeons,& get the flock outta there!

When you dream about brewing beer for four nights in a row before you actually get to (that was my first time). I don't know if the addiction began before I started, or what...

Latest posts

Back