Kegged; Bitter, then smooth, then bitter, rinse, repeat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 64661

Reaction score
OK this is weird. I cooked up a Brewers Best American Cream Ale on 1-10-2011. Followed the recipe exactly. I let the beer sit on primary for 4 weeks, didn't check gravity as my hydrometer was missing. I cold crashed in the fridge on primary for 3 days then racked to keg on a packet of dissolved gelatin. I quick carbed with CO2. It's been in the keg for what 3+ weeks now?
The issue I would like to discuss is this; I pour a glass and it's a crap shoot whether the beer is a little too hoppy or smooth as can be. It's been calming down over these last couple of weeks but strange that I can let it set for a couple three days and pour a really smooth beer but the next one has more hop presence.
Funny the first time I brewed this (my first ever) it was bitter until the last four beers in the keg. I had rushed that one and figured I just had to let it sit and do it's thing. RDWHAHB and all. But this time I thought I let it ride long enough.
Thanks,
txinga

Yes. I dissolved the gelatin in 1 cup of warm water. Let it set for 20 minutes, brought it almost to a boil. Cooled a little, poured into keg the racked the beer on top of it.

Gelatin is usually added before racking. You want to leave that crud behind, and not drink it.

So you move the beer from primary to a secondary on gelatin then move to a serving keg? I've always siphoned from primary (leaving the yeast cake) to the serving keg on top of the gelatin mixture.

I recently started using gelatin. While I'm filling the keg I microwave a cup of water to about 180, then stir in the gelatin. Once the keg's full I just pour the gelatin on top then the keg goes into the fridge for crash cooling. After the second day I draw a pint a day until they come out crystal clear, usually 2-3 pints, then crank the pressure up to carb. I usually drink the last hazy pint and have noticed that it seems to be much less bitter and have a creamier mouthfeel than the clear pints.

I'm wondering if by adding gelatin then carbing right away there are small bubbles trapped in the jello that are causing it to remain in suspension and causing the smooth creamy pints. Maybe not, this is pure speculation.

I'm wondering if your taste buds are just changing (like they do) lol
I know there's days for me when a particular beer can be amazing, and then the next day, a little more hoppy than I'd like, then another day, be great again.
I just chalk it up to my taste buds though, not the beer. It happens with commercial beers also. Sometimes a Newcastle sounds great, others, it's just not that good.

foods can drastically change perception, too. the other day I had an IPA prior to some chomping down some nachos. the next swallow of IPA after the nachos tasted totally different - same bottle!

Back