lauter rake photo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
Well I am on my way to building the rake I have been discussing. Below is a photo of what I have so far. I took a rack and cut out a section to fit my tun. I have both verticle and horizontal teeth/blades and set them in relation to the axis so that as the rake rotates the verticle teeth track between the half spinning opposite it. The bottom of the rake will hang 4 inches above my manifold and rotate at about 8 rpms. I believe this will improve my extraction rate and assist in mash mixing.

lauterrake2.jpg

I assume there will be some flez, particularly on the one end piece that is not tied to any other piece. But the rest is pretty strong and I am not too concerned about bending and such. It will be running in a liquid mash and the resistence on each piece at 8rpms can't be too much can it? I guess I will find out soon enough!

That looks great. Could you post some pics when it is in active duty?

I'd be tempted to cut the singleton off. That way you would have a symmetric rake with three dual prongs on each side.

david_42 said:
I'd be tempted to cut the singleton off. That way you would have a symmetric rake with three dual prongs on each side.

I had thought about that but it tracks between the outer two on the other side. I don't think it is going to be bending that much and even if it does it won't be a problem. The rake is heavy duty, it came out of an old commercial unit. Twice as thick as my home's oven rakes.

I don't see any reason why this wouldn't work. Very cool! You're like the MacGyver of brewing. :D

Back