Need Suggestions for a new 55 gallon system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do sparge. I stagger the brews by about twenty minutes for several reasons, one is for sparging and the other is for cooling through my heat exchanger. While both batches are mashing, I fill one boil kettle up with water and heat. The other boil kettle is about half full so I batch sparge with the remaining water in the half full kettle. Then I start transferring the wort from that mashtun back to the boil kettle. When the level gets about an inch above the grains I start fly sparging with the water from the other boil kettle. When the kettle is full, I keep filling the first mash tun with the remaining water in the second boil kettle. Start transferring the second mash tun to the second boil kettle and again when it gets about an inch from the grains I start sparging with the remaining water in the first mashtun. It works pretty well. I end up with about 78% efficiency.

You process is quite unique. I like it and hope to emulate it. However, I do not think I understand completely though, so let’s see if I can figure this out…

1. You have MLT1, MLT2, BK1, and BK2.
2. The mash in MLT1 is started 20 minutes before the mash in MLT2.
3. BK1 is half full with heated water. BK2 is full with heated water.
4. Once the mash in MLT1 is finished, do you mash out MLT1 with the heated water (around 185?) from BK1?
5. Let’s assume you do. After you get all the water out of BK1, you begin draining MLT1 into BK1?
6. Once it drains enough, you begin flysparging MLT1 with heated water from BK2.
7. During the flysparging of MLT1, BK1 will fill up.
8. After BK1 is full, you add the remaining sparge water from BK2 into MLT1.
9. You begin to drain MLT2 into BK2.
10. Once it drains enough, you begin flysparging MLT2 with water from MLT1.
11. Finally, MLT2 completely drains into BK2.

I’m confused on steps 4 and 5. The rest I think I understand. A picture or drawing could really help with explaining your process.

Do you have heater elements in the MLTs? How many elements do you have in the BKs? Three?

I look forward to visiting Bonfire Brewing next time I go snowboarding! Do you ride? I’m your 420th fan on FB, BTW. :D

Back