Lost volume out blow off tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psychobrawler

Reaction score
I pitched about a quart starter of white labs irish yeast onto 5 gallons of a very high gravity imperial (1.110.) The wort was in a 6 1/2 gallon glass carboy fitted with a blow off tube that was submerged in a bucket with some mild bleach water. Fermentation took off like mad and foam started blowing off within 12 hours. After two days it started slowing down, but I noticed I lost nearly a gallon that blew over during that vigorous period.

Has anyone had this happen? Is there anything I can do to prevent losing so much? I was happy to get such a great fermentation, but pretty disappointed to loose that much volume.

well first off a quart starter is not big enough for an OG that high. need at least a 4-5 quart starter.

some fermentations are more vigorous than others. little surprised you lost a gallon. keep in mind you can really gauge how much you have really lost till all the karsen has fallen back in. that foam is taking up some of the volume of whats left.

Yes, I have had high gravity brews blow off like crazy but that was when I didn't have excellent temp control.

On my latest and highest OG beer (1.120), I used WLP007 and controlled the temp at a steady wort temp of 66F and never came close to a blowoff.

I had constant temp at 68. I can gauge pretty well how much was lost by the increase in my blow off bucket, which has graduated gallons marks. Both that and the level visible in the glass carboy look like I've lost about a gallon. I had a blow off with my last all grain batch also, which wasn't nearly as high OG (1.065) but I didn't lose volume like this.

wyazz, thanks for the tip. I'll check into fermcap.

Latest posts

Back