Need Help With Temperature Controls

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madkins

Reaction score
So I know there's a ton of threads on here about fermentation chambers and temp controls. Even with all of these resources I still have questions. I recently built my fermentation chamber and decided to use a Frigidair window AC unit. The AC unit doesn't have a thermostat to set the temperature, just high/low cool and high/low fan.

I'm looking into temp controls and don't know which one I need to make this thing get down to a temp that I can lager. I've seen many examples of fermentation chambers that get down to the 30's with AC's, but I'm not a mechanical type at all. I can build and brew, but as far as electronics and wiring go, I'm useless :(

I guess another question is will the AC with a temp control (either Johnson or RANCO) produce lagering temperatures?

Thanks for the input.

I'm not sure about your unit, but for my chamber (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/dehumidifier-powered-fermentation-chamber-134315/) I had to poke around just a bit. AC units work by switching a compressor and a fan (or two). You will need to figure that out-- it should be pretty straight forward to follow the wiring from the switch to compressor and fans (the compressor on mine had a large capacitor to help with start up).

Basically- figure out how the current (stock) electronics turn the unit on/off, hack that out, and drop your temp control in (It's very easy with the Analog Johnson controller as it's just a big pressure activated switch).

It might be worth a six pack of homebrew to find someone who knows their way around electronics to help out with this as it's one of those deals that can reach out and bite you pretty quick if you're not careful.

Back