Effects of too much yeast/trub in bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all ... I bottled my second batch on Saturday after 3 weeks in primary. My primary has a spigot on it, and since I am using Coopers carbonation drops I went ahead and bottled straight from the fermenter.

(I know, I should rack to a bottling bucket and add priming sugar to the whole batch ... and I will start doing so as soon as I use up all the starter supplies I got for my birthday ... but I figure why let these drops go to waste?)

At any rate, I got enough good beer out of the fermenter for all but the last 2 bottles with no problem. At that point there was a lot of trub left mixed in with the beer, but I figured I might as well fill the last 2 bottles with the trubby stuff and see how those bottles come out.

<EDIT to original post - I did not bottle ALL of the trub! Just 2 bottles worth of really cloudy stuff at the top of the trub ... even I'm not THAT desperate for extra beer! :D>

5 days later, my last 2 trubby bottles are still really cloudy, have about 1/2" to 3/4" of yeast settled to the bottom already, and are rock hard (I'm using amber PET bottles). All the other bottles seem pretty normal. I've read that bottle bombs are a result of too much unfermented sugar, not too much yeast, but I definitely have a case of higher carbonation in the trubbies so something is going on.

Question: should I keep conditioning the trubby bottles and see what happens? Since they're plastic I suppose they're fairly safe ... but I don't want a mess in my pantry if they do decide to blow. I'm thinking about just opening them this weekend and tasting them green, since they don't look like they're going to condition up very well anyway. Or I could just toss them.

I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

I'd go ahead and have them this weekend. with all that extra yeast int he bottle, they probably carbed alot quicker than the others will. I have not ever used plastic bottles for anything other than making dryice bombs or Works bombs.

Back