Registration for nationals is now up!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did have trouble and I messed around a bit and the next time I tried it went through. Don't know what I did on the final attempt that finally worked.

flyangler18,
I registered for the AHA yesterday morning and they e-mailed me a payment confirmation (i.e. reciept) but no AHA Member Number. So I called AHA and got Janis Gross and she said to enter your registration date in mmyy and that will work...it did. Then an hour later or so Janis e-mailed my AHA Member Number.

EDIT: that may have been mmddyy...can't remember.

flyangler18,
I registered for the AHA yesterday morning and they e-mailed me a payment confirmation (i.e. reciept) but no AHA Member Number. So I called AHA and got Janis Gross and she said to enter your registration date in mmyy and that will work...it did. Then an hour later or so Janis e-mailed my AHA Member Number.

I'm already an AHA member, but I'm having difficulty entering beers via the online form. Or am I misunderstanding what you are telling me?

planenut,
Take a look at the rules...it's in there. It says it is illegal to ship alcohol via USPS but it's not illegal to ship via a private carrier like UPS/Fed Ex.

Flyangler18,
There must be some other problem then...I was just relaying my exp of doing it if you had just registered/paid for your AHA membership. I figure there may be others like me that registered for the AHA just before trying to enter a beer. Should have known you were already a member.:eek:

Give Janis a call (bottom of the webpage linked in op)...she was very helpful. It may be something on their end that they haven't been informed about yet.

Give Janis a call (bottom of the webpage linked in op)...she was very helpful. It may be something on their end that they haven't been informed about yet.

When I registered mine, I had just renewed my AHA membership. I emailed Janis and she got back to me within a couple of hours. So if you don't want to call you can always just email.

It is too bad the form isn't working for you guys. I am sure they'll work out the kinks on that.

I looks like Jamil built the registration site so I emailed him about it. Hopefully he'll have it taken care of soon.

5 here too.

14c, 12c, 16d, 19a, 23.

I didn't realize that it cost $5 more per entry if you're not an AHA member. Enter 5+ beers and you can offset the price of a 1 year membership with the money you save on your entries.

If you're reading this thinking about entering beer(s) and aren't an AHA member, what are you waiting for?

I don't plan for competitions. If I have something around when it comes time for one, I'll enter it. I am entering 4 to the nationals because that's all I have around. In fact, two of them aren't even done yet and I'm just hoping they're ready.

I don't plan for competitions. If I have something around when it comes time for one, I'll enter it. I am entering 4 to the nationals because that's all I have around. In fact, two of them aren't even done yet and I'm just hoping they're ready.

Heh, I'm the opposite. I brewed 2 beers for NHC '09 before NHC '08 even happened.

Heh, I'm the opposite. I brewed 2 beers for NHC '09 before NHC '08 even happened.

What'd you make. I'm assuming big beers or sours or something. In the grand scene of things, I haven't been brewing very long, and my goal isn't to win, but to make myself happy. Typically I get the best feedback from my friends who are snobs like me, and so I don't need competitions. I've entered a few to make sure they weren't lying. :) But since I have a couple around this year, I thought I'd give it a go.

I do it for the feedback...I'm taking sandpaper to my skin right now in preparation.

"You can't handle the truth!" probably applies to me here.

I know it's kinda off topic, but I noticed that JZ is the one who made the site. If you click email webmaster, it is to [email protected].

No wonder he has 2 Ninkasis, he helps run the damn thing. :drunk:;)

I read somewhere around here that there were occasions where folks had points deducted (or at least thought they did) because they had bottled from a keg and didn't leave hardly any headspace. I guess there was no 'pffffft' when they opened the bottle or something.

Is there any truth to this? Should I mention in the comments that it was keg-carbed and then bottled?

I remember seeing that too. When I have filled bottles from the keg, I usually get just enough foam to push out any air (the foam bubbles are full to CO2) but still leave proper headspace once it settles down.

I must admit I still haven't perfected bottling from kegs. I can get a carbed beer but I haven't gotten it perfect yet. My best bottles-from-keg have very little headspace though.

This was one of my better attempts at bottling from a keg, I must be getting better.

I examined one of my bottles of cream ale today and I must say I'm surprised to see a layer of something, be it yeast, protien, whatever, at the bottom of the bottle. I know I didn't filter, but still, that beer was pouring flawlessly clear. I didn't think there was anything in it to settle.

I read somewhere around here that there were occasions where folks had points deducted (or at least thought they did) because they had bottled from a keg and didn't leave hardly any headspace. I guess there was no 'pffffft' when they opened the bottle or something.

Is there any truth to this? Should I mention in the comments that it was keg-carbed and then bottled?

I have heard people say that they got dinged for improper fill level. I also bottle from keg, but I haven't had a fill level issue at all since I got my Blichmann Beer Gun. AFAIK, that thing is worth every penny that I spent on it and more.

I have heard people say that they got dinged for improper fill level. I also bottle from keg, but I haven't had a fill level issue at all since I got my Blichmann Beer Gun. AFAIK, that thing is worth every penny that I spent on it and more.

Fill level should be noted in the "Bottle Inspection" section but should not affect scoring. If I got a score sheet back and it was clear that points were deducted because of improper fill, I would bring it to the attention of the Judge Director.

This was one of my better attempts at bottling from a keg, I must be getting better.

I examined one of my bottles of cream ale today and I must say I'm surprised to see a layer of something, be it yeast, protien, whatever, at the bottom of the bottle. I know I didn't filter, but still, that beer was pouring flawlessly clear. I didn't think there was anything in it to settle.

"Beer will appear clear to the naked eye with a concentration of 10,000 parts per milimeter yeast cells in solution" From Mr. Papazian himself.

+1. The design allows for a perfect bottle fill. I really dig mine.

+1. The design allows for a perfect bottle fill. I really dig mine.

I've never used one, does it fill the bottle to the top like a bottling wand and leave headspace when removed? If so then the headspace has oxygen in it. My method of a tiny bit of foam to purge the air doesn't. Just sayin.;) imperfect bottle filling.:D

Back