Homebrewing Blog

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd also recommend the web host asmallorange.com - I pay $25 per year for 150 mb of space and 4.5 gb worth of bandwidth. Small, but adequate for my blog - and way cheap. The customer service is good too.

Yeah the key to keeping the cost down is that I don't have a lot of frills and I do it all myself. It was definitely less than the $11 a month you're quoting in cost. It might have been more than $5, I'd have to actually check my records.

Yeah, I just looked, it's like $6.08 a month. If you need some help, send me a PM and we can discuss some more.

Cheers.:mug:

That's a nice theme, by the way.

Mine is a pay site so that I don't have ads that I don't want on there. The cost was pretty low though. Something like $5 a month I think. The main architecture of it is a free Wordpress theme:

http://www.yourinspirationweb.com/tf/?theme=impero

I've done some customization to it, but all with free stuff. Google fonts and the like. Most of the pictures are mine to begin with also. It's really easy to work with, and has a pretty sweet look and feel IMHO. I can also post to it from my tablet or phone, which is a huge plus in my book.

Thanks. :)

I spent a lot of time searching through themes until I found something that I really liked. That's the great thing about Wordpress - there are so many options!

I was just thinking of a star trek kind of blog,brew trek,star date 10272011...brew captain's log...informative but some humor as well. Always leave'em laughing...

Mine is www.bear-flavored.com (the name of my "brewery"). I review beers too, so there's more of that than homebrewing stuff so far. Hoping to expand with some more "editorial" type stories about the beer industry / breweries / bars eventually... or whatever else I come up with.

Mine is www.bear-flavored.com (the name of my "brewery"). I review beers too, so there's more of that than homebrewing stuff so far. Hoping to expand with some more "editorial" type stories about the beer industry / breweries / bars eventually... or whatever else I come up with.

I really enjoy your blog. Read the first two posts. Following! :mug:

Love the collection of blogs (mine is in my signature). Looks like I'll be updating my bookmarks list thanks to this thread!

Yes! I remember seeing yours on HBT before and forgot about it! Thanks for posting - I'm adding your site to my bookmarks too.

Oh and to bear-flavored - I totally snagged that Garrett Oliver quote, hope you don't mind!

I just spent some time and added folks from this as link backs on my blog. Great way to follow what others are doing! Also helps get traffic up for everyone if we all do it. :)

Agreed, very nice. Same goes for the others on here.

If anyone is interested in guest posting, we have them pretty often on The Homebrew Academy. We post on other blogs as well. It's a good way to share audiences.

Thanks! Good to hear. Guest posting sounds cool, I'm checking out that site now.

A few pages back there was discussion of paying for hosting and whatnot. In case anyone is curious, my blog is hosted on Blogger, so it's totally free (except for the 10 bucks I spent buying the domain name.) Blogger has really improved over the years and there are a lot of tricks you can do so that it doesn't even look like a blogger site — no stupid "bar" at the top or anything. I like it a lot more than the free version of Wordpress for something like this.

Thanks! Good to hear. Guest posting sounds cool, I'm checking out that site now.

A few pages back there was discussion of paying for hosting and whatnot. In case anyone is curious, my blog is hosted on Blogger, so it's totally free (except for the 10 bucks I spent buying the domain name.) Blogger has really improved over the years and there are a lot of tricks you can do so that it doesn't even look like a blogger site — no stupid "bar" at the top or anything. I like it a lot more than the free version of Wordpress for something like this.

The issue I have with Blogger is long-term stability. There have been some rumors in cyberspace the last couple of months that Google is planning on dropping it in their push for Google+. That's a big reason I was willing to shell out a little for the site space as well as the cost for my domain name. I'm using a Wordpress theme which is free, and I like it a lot. Highly customizable and fairly easy to use, along with really good mobile devices support. Since I also like to review beers I drink and bars I go to, having the mobile app is great. I can take pics on my phone and write a blog entry while I'm at a place, so my impression isn't lost with time or the haze of 2 too many pints. :)

I just spent some time and added folks from this as link backs on my blog. Great way to follow what others are doing! Also helps get traffic up for everyone if we all do it. :)

Agreed. Sorry, I hadn't added you on mine yet - you're on there now. :mug:

thats too bad about blogger maybe going away. It took me forever to get the hang of it. I do have all my text and photos from posts saved an my computer though, im hoping to move to my own website pretty soon.

I think I just added eveyones site to my blog. Lots of great stuff on here. Looks like most everyone is a bit more knowledgeable than I am at this. But hey, that's what this site has been all about for me. Learning from others. So thanks everyone for posting your blogs on here.

These are all good ones, kind of makes my little starter blog look sad lol. Thanks for sharing, folks

Ha, I feel the same way Taypo. Through this thread I have been convinced that I should get a pay site so I can do more with it. And I will be making that move soon.

I am working on a blog presently. I will post it up after I get it up and running. I dont know what I am doing so I am learning as I go LOL kinda like brewing:D

Billy

Join the club Husky. There are a few of us that are pretty new to this blogging thing. Look forward to seeing what you come up with,

Join the club Husky. There are a few of us that are pretty new to this blogging thing. Look forward to seeing what you come up with,

Really, the most important thing is content. I always used to f*ck around with themes and blog names and all that, and I never had any content in them. I'd always end up deleting it because it felt so stupid having an empty blog. Sometimes it's not easy to sit down and write things out when you could just as easily be drinking beer.

Your blog has good content right now - and you're already on a platform that's capable of looking nice and clean. Pay site vs. free site doesn't really matter, in my opinion. The only reason I'm on a paid hosting platform is because I use it for other web projects too and that's what's convenient for me. I've had blogs on Tumblr and wordpress.com, and that works too.

What I would suggest that you do is just keep your content and strip everything else back. The header image at the top of your blog looks like it would work a lot better as a printed label. That + the beer background takes focus away from what is important - the actual stuff you're taking the time to sit down and write - the content.

It might feel good to just start fresh. Leave your posts, ditch everything else & go minimal. Just a suggestion! Either way, you're doing fine. :mug:

Thanks Burgs. I definitely see what you're saying. The content is the thing I enjoy most about the blog. Writing it as least. Its still fun for me. I don't think of it as a pin in the arse or anything. I love taking time out of my day to write. Its almost as much a journal for myself as anything else. I've been thinking about making some of the very changes you suggest. I will be messing around with it some today. Thanks again for the input. Always appreciated.

Content is everything. You can have the coolest, most savvy setup ever, but if you don't have content in there, what's the point? I make a point of trying to post something new every 4 days at the most. Sometimes I get a couple of things up faster than that, sometimes it takes a little more time to get an addition. But if you aren't adding content, then it will grow stale and never have a chance to live up to its potential.

Content is everything. You can have the coolest, most savvy setup ever, but if you don't have content in there, what's the point? I make a point of trying to post something new every 4 days at the most. Sometimes I get a couple of things up faster than that, sometimes it takes a little more time to get an addition. But if you aren't adding content, then it will grow stale and never have a chance to live up to its potential.

Agreed, but for me it's a push/pull between wanting fresh content and not really wanting to post about every time an airlock bubbles. I'm ok with posting once a month, so long as each one is worth reading. Right now I have at least 4 beers going that I've never mentioned on my blog, and I'm sure that's how it'll always be. What truly impresses me is stuff like The Mad Fermentationist, where there's something of substance like... weekly.

Agreed, but for me it's a push/pull between wanting fresh content and not really wanting to post about every time an airlock bubbles. I'm ok with posting once a month, so long as each one is worth reading. Right now I have at least 4 beers going that I've never mentioned on my blog, and I'm sure that's how it'll always be. What truly impresses me is stuff like The Mad Fermentationist, where there's something of substance like... weekly.

Agreed. For me, the way that I try and keep fresh content up, even if I'm not brewing every week, is to also add some other things that might be of interest. So I'll post reviews of local brewpubs, beers, vendors, equipment, things like that. It gives me the chance to branch out a little more, and keep fresh content rolling in.

Agreed. For me, the way that I try and keep fresh content up, even if I'm not brewing every week, is to also add some other things that might be of interest. So I'll post reviews of local brewpubs, beers, vendors, equipment, things like that. It gives me the chance to branch out a little more, and keep fresh content rolling in.

You know what was funny, is that I almost got into an argument with someone on Facebook the other day who was being a huge beer snob - and she is a server at that Piece place that you reviewed. Ha!

To the point of having to post very frequently to keep people coming is for me minimal with the ability of one to "follow up" on a blog by email. You sign up for as many blogs as you want and you will be notified whenever new posts are publish. Given the amount of interesting blogs, you will mostly not be able to keep up reading everything anyways, even if each make a post a month. I'm sure that everyonne knows about "follow up" feature, not sure if it is used very often though.

You know what was funny, is that I almost got into an argument with someone on Facebook the other day who was being a huge beer snob - and she is a server at that Piece place that you reviewed. Ha!

HA! That's hilarious. My girlfriend was mad when she read what I wrote, but I told her that I had to be honest. It was mediocre for beer, with good pizza. I have no problem ordering a pizza from them to carry out and take home so I can drink some decent beer with it, but what they were serving just didn't impress me at all.

HA! That's hilarious. My girlfriend was mad when she read what I wrote, but I told her that I had to be honest. It was mediocre for beer, with good pizza. I have no problem ordering a pizza from them to carry out and take home so I can drink some decent beer with it, but what they were serving just didn't impress me at all.

The place is called Piece, and they serve beers named Cameltoe, Golden Arm and Octoberfist. Do they also have pictures of Beavis and Butthead on the wall? Maybe some frat boys doing keg stands in the back?

Appreciate the votes. What I will most likely end up doing is brewing the one with the most votes and then do the sour as well. Due to the fact that it will take so long to condition. And if the sour wins, then I will brew the runner up to it. Since Ive stepped up my capacity there is no excuse not to have at least 2 going.

Back