Your opinions on an extract beer, please?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starderup

Reaction score
I got a notice yesterday about a competition that requires an entry by June 16. I have been brewing for many years, and recently got into all grain, but wanted to try for this.
I don't have the time to do a mash tonight, so decided to try to put together an extract brew. Style: Irish Red Ale. Here are the ingredients:
5 lbs Amber Muntons DME
1 lb Dark Muntons DME
1 oz Bullion at 60 minutes
1 oz Cascade at 15 minutes
5 grams of Irish Moss at 15 minutes
1 oz of Tettnang at 5 minutes
1 packet of Nottingham dry yeast pitched directly into the wort after chilling to 78 degrees.

Too late to change anything, but just wanted comments on what might be better. Thanks.

i never had a red ale. are they usually low hopped? thats all i can notice that may be a problem but itd be perfect if youre going for a mildly hopped flavour

i never had a red ale. are they usually low hopped? thats all i can notice that may be a problem but itd be perfect if youre going for a mildly hopped flavour

Yeah, according to the BJCP guidelines, this recipe will conform, but it is pretty close to the top end on OG, IBUs, and just about everything. That's how I am, though. I don't appreciate 'careful' beers.
Go for the gusto, baby.

so bjcp would concider that high hopped for a red ale? maybe im a hophead but that seems a little mild either that or bullion(which im not sure on for ibus) is really hoppy

Sounds like it would taste pretty good for the style. My only question is why pitch the yeast so high? I like my Notty pitched at 60-62 and fermenting around 65. Super crisp, clean, and neutral. Seems that would fit the style better since it calls for no esters.

so bjcp would concider that high hopped for a red ale? maybe im a hophead but that seems a little mild either that or bullion(which im not sure on for ibus) is really hoppy

Not really high, but at the top end of the range. I'm a hophead. What can I say?

Sounds like it would taste pretty good for the style. My only question is why pitch the yeast so high? I like my Notty pitched at 60-62 and fermenting around 65. Super crisp, clean, and neutral. Seems that would fit the style better since it calls for no esters.

I pitch it at the temp it is going to ferment, which is the corner of my kitchen, until I hit the lottery, or I get some major concessions from my CFO (wife).

thanks for clarifying that for me. sounds like it could make an tasty beer though

It really looked great cooking up and in the fermenter. I think so too. I'm starting to be a little more careful documenting the processes, because I want to reproduce the better ones, and lose the rest!

Latest posts

Back