How do I scale a 5 gallon recipe to a 6 gallon yield? (extract)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skahorse

Reaction score
Hey all-

I'm new here, thanks for all the information!

Quick question; How do I up a 5 gallon recipe to 6 gallons? Is it as simple as increasing everything by 20%?

Here's the recipe I want to make: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/all-amarillo-ipa-28517/

But I only have my 6 gallon setup available right now (normally used for wine).

The recipe calls for 7lbs DME, so I'll up it to roughly 8.5lbs?

8oz of 40L Crystal, up to 10oz?

Hop schedule is
1.5oz - 60 Min
1oz - 15 Min
1oz - 5 Min
.5oz - flameout

Should I go with (or do I even up the hops?)
2.0oz
1.25oz
1.25oz
.75oz

I plan on starting the boil with 4.5 gallons and adding the remaining 2-2.5gals when it goes into primary.

So, am I on the right track?

EDIT: I've been HBing off and on for a few years, but never really paid attention to the math or science of it all... If i'm off base, and someone would be so kind to walk through the math/science of the actual process, that would be awesome! Thanks.

Thanks,
--Ska

Just multiply everything by 1.2.

When you increase volume, you increase everything. If you just want to increase gravity, just increase your base (extract).

That's what I do, FWIW.

Add an extra gallon of extract to make up for the volume!

No, really, Nugent's right.

But I like my way better. :drunk:

If you get Beersmith (only $20) it has an option to scale recipes to whatever size you want (there might be some size limit, but any size a homebrewer can handle anyways). It also lets you convert recipes between all-grain, partial mash, and extract.

Latest posts

Back