Propane Burners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgcaudle

Reaction score
I m looking for a burner for my AG setup and ran across this one. I noticed that it's a 'jet' burner and not just a regular burner.
http://www.homebrewing.org/12-Tall-Jet-Burner-200000-BTU_p_68-271.html

What exactly should I look for in a burner....the one I posted a link to has 200,000 BTUs...isn't that a little overboard? It also doesn't look like it comes with the hoses and regulator.

Also, some are listed as high pressure and low pressure...I am assuming the use of a propane tank would be high pressure and the low pressure is used in household occupations.

ARRG....I need help picking out a cheap (<$65) efficient burner but there are soo many to chose from.

Thanks in advance!

Bjorn Borg said:
That will work. Heres mine i got at home depot for 50 bucks. It works great and has a really solid/stable base.
I have the same one and it does work very well.

Jet burners eat propane & burn wort. The jet doesn't spread the heat out, but the high capacity makes them great for heating sparge water fast. The burner posted above, is a good choice. It you look closely, it has a large number of small gas jets. This gives you even heating. Anything from 55K to 200K BTU will work. A stand that is tall enough that you can get the fermenter under the spigot is nice, but a short stable stand works.

Thanks guys for your input.
I guess I can't read what brand that is that Bjorn posted in the picture. I went to Home Depot's site and they didn't list any small burners, so I couldn't figure it out.

What does that label say?

cgcaudle said:
Thanks guys for your input.
I guess I can't read what brand that is that Bjorn posted in the picture. I went to Home Depot's site and they didn't list any small burners, so I couldn't figure it out.

What does that label say?

Bayou Classic.

if you ever think you are going to upgrade your kettle to a converted half barrel I would go with a square burner like posted above, other wise you will end up modifying your round burner to get more stability.

Pumbaa said:
if you ever think you are going to upgrade your kettle to a converted half barrel I would go with a square burner like posted above, other wise you will end up modifying your round burner to get more stability.

Now you tell me!

Bjorn Borg said:
That will work. Heres mine i got at home depot for 50 bucks. It works great and has a really solid/stable base.

I bought this same one a few months ago at Home Depot... great burner for a great price...!!!!

I have four jet burners and wouldn't want anything else. They get things cooking fast, which means I don't have to sit around waiting for water to boil. When it comes to BTUs I say more is better!

I've posted this before, but here is one of mine mounted and ready for blast-off.

98963492.jpg

Sweet, thanks for all the replies. I actually went down to Home Depot and found which one you guys posted. That is a really good price...and you can cook fish in it too (not really).

Brewpastor, your setup looks like something Tim 'The Tool Man Taylor' designed...so it's something we will all drool over.

Homer: 'mmmmm....jet burner'

Someone posted here a thread and web link that I can't find now on some 75k btu burners that were I thought less than $10. I'm talking only the burners, not stand etc. Anyone have the reference by chance?

I got a welder guy coming to fix my steel pool fence today and he's up for making me the brewsculpture stand :rockin:.

2480.jpg

He hasn't seen the pic yet (I verbalized it) so can't give me a price yet but I know he'd do this for much less than morebeer ($545 + shipping). Only problem is he's heading out of state next week for the summer so won't be able to get to this until late Aug probably. I can wait.

desertBrew said:
Someone posted here a thread and web link that I can't find now on some 75k btu burners that were I thought less than $10. I'm talking only the burners, not stand etc. Anyone have the reference by chance?

I got a welder guy coming to fix my steel pool fence today and he's up for making me the brewsculpture stand :rockin:.

2480.jpg

He hasn't seen the pic yet (I verbalized it) so can't give me a price yet but I know he'd do this for much less than morebeer ($545 + shipping). Only problem is he's heading out of state next week for the summer so won't be able to get to this until late Aug probably. I can wait.

I saw some cheap high btu burners on ebay under "propane burner"

I gotta ask... how the hell does that thing stand upright? It just looks like it is going to fall over.... scary kinda you know. I mean when everything is full there has to be at least 200 - 300 pounds on that thing.

Does anyone have any experience with these types of burners:

http://morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=17247

From some searching around on the internet, they are called "impinged jet" burners, and are supposedly pretty efficient with high heat output. I just get worried by the "have a professional plumber connect it" statements that Northern Brewer and MoreBeer put in their catalogs....but then again it doesn't look that difficult.

Anybody ever hook one up themselves?

Bjorn Borg said:
Has anyone seen the stainless steel version? it looks sweet, all shiny!

its like 60 bucks...

I bought the SS version. I looks nice. Haven't looked at mine up close lately, but I remember seeing some bluing from the heat on some of the internal ribs. No biggie, though. For the extra bucks it's may well be worth it, if you don't want to have to worry about the paint burning off of the black ones. No rust to worry about either....

Beer Snob said:
I gotta ask... how the hell does that thing stand upright? It just looks like it is going to fall over.... scary kinda you know. I mean when everything is full there has to be at least 200 - 300 pounds on that thing.

Nicely balanced & my only concern on making it myself. Look at the leg sttructure though; pretty wide stance & long. Thats a pic of the 10g one as well.

alemonkey said:
How about 170,000 for 8 bucks?

http://www.agrisupplyco.com/cgi-bin/cgiitmls?m=ThisP&p=30295.000000&l=1

Can't remember who originally posted it, but that's a heck of a deal.

That's the same kind of burner I've got in my turkey fryer. It was a gift, so I'm not sure where they got it from, but it works great! Once things get boiling (and it does fast), you can turn it way down to keep it rolling but not waste a lot of propane.

Lounge Lizard said:
I bought the SS version. I looks nice. Haven't looked at mine up close lately, but I remember seeing some bluing from the heat on some of the internal ribs. No biggie, though. For the extra bucks it's may well be worth it, if you don't want to have to worry about the paint burning off of the black ones. No rust to worry about either....
:off: (slightly)

Where do you have the air shutter thingy set at? I keep mine about halfway open, i dont know whats better all the way open or mostly closed. It is supposed to control the o2 intake i guess.

I Was about to start a thread on this subject actually. I have been hitting a few garage sales lately and I've been seeing alot of older(but promised to be in working condition) BBQ's going from $10-$30 (propane tank included). Would a propane BBQ work for boiling wort or heating HLT/MLT? I understand that one would have to disassemble and re-assemble the BBQ to get the burners in the right spot but wouldn't it work? Could that possibly be the upper tier to a 2 tier RIMS system? I know it might not be as sexy looking as, lets say Brewpastor's setup, but wouldn't it get the job done? Or would the problem lie in the burners themselves? Are they powerful enough to boil water? What is the mimimum BTU's necessary to get 5-10 gallons of wort to a rolling boil? There are already handy adjustors right in the front and most are self lighting. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Bjorn Borg said:
:off: (slightly)

Where do you have the air shutter thingy set at? I keep mine about halfway open, i dont know whats better all the way open or mostly closed. It is supposed to control the o2 intake i guess.

Yes, it controls the air getting in. Halfway (more or less) sounds about right. At night (where I can see the flame), I just open or close the shutter 'til a I get a nice blue flame. Blue with little or no yellow, is a sign of a clean, hot and efficient flame. During the day I mostly go by the sound. When it starts sounding like a rocket engine, you are good to go.

You don't want a yellow flame that licks around the bottom of the kettle...

Grimsawyer said:
I Was about to start a thread on this subject actually. I have been hitting a few garage sales lately and I've been seeing alot of older(but promised to be in working condition) BBQ's going from $10-$30 (propane tank included).

I would buy a couple of the ten dollar ones just for the propane tanks. Try buying full tank without an exchange, and you'll find out why. Some places around here, want close to fifty dollars if you don't have a tank for exchange.

Lounge Lizard said:
Yes, it controls the air getting in. Halfway (more or less) sounds about right. At night (where I can see the flame), I just open or close the shutter 'til a I get a nice blue flame. Blue with little or no yellow, is a sign of a clean, hot and efficient flame. During the day I mostly go by the sound. When it starts sounding like a rocket engine, you are good to go.

You don't want a yellow flame that licks around the bottom of the kettle...

I tend to have to keep mine open almost all the way... but I jsut lay my head down on the garage floor and adjust it till its all blue... jsut dont put your face too close to the burner.. hehehee.. or brew with sandals on.. I learned this the hard way last week...

Jester

Grimsawyer said:
I Was about to start a thread on this subject actually. I have been hitting a few garage sales lately and I've been seeing alot of older(but promised to be in working condition) BBQ's going from $10-$30 (propane tank included). Would a propane BBQ work for boiling wort or heating HLT/MLT?

ive done extract batches (4 gallons)on a regular bbq grill. it worked but it took forever to get to a simmer, and never reached a good rolling boil.

Back