Beer Speech

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BleedsDogFish

Reaction score
Ok so I have to come to my first speech for my speech class this semester. I have a lot of public speaking experience and I am not scared of doing it. My speech is to be a 5 minute informative speech. I figured I would do it on beer and inform all of my Bud Light swilling classmates(Some think they are elite for drinking Corona) about beer. Here are some of the points I plan to cover.

-History
-How it's made
-Brief overview of styles
-Current beer trends
-The microbews of US

There is a lot of experience here on the site and I was hoping for some input. Also, I need some visual aid, does anyone have any visuals that might be of assistance? IE- Beermaking 101 type stuff?

Thanks !:tank:

I'm sure when you get sub headings witha little padding your main difficulty will be keeping it under 5 minutes.

Just on what you state you can break it down..
-History
Ancient
European
American.
Good to talk about the discovery of yeast

-How it's made-
Commercial. (industrial) (Craft)
Simple extract
All grain-Inc a little of the chemistry
-Brief overview of styles,
Maybe Contrast the diverse American trend and the focus other countries have

-Current beer trends.
Maybe how world economics are impacting on it

-The microbews of US

Visuals...
bring in some malt, hops, bottle water, and a pack of bread yeast (cheating but cheaper). Explain how that turns into beer. Pop open a beer and pour.

Then they have the visual for the finished product. Then, of course enjoy and hope you don't get kicked out for consuming alcohol.

Don't' forget how beer saved the world. You should definitely touch on the points in history when beer (fermented Beverages) were the ONLY safe liquids due to the plague and other disease.
I would also point out that beer is as widely varied and as complex as wine, and help them out by suggesting that if you are a BMC drinker, and want to expand your palliate, you should prolly avoid things like IIPA's and Barley wine for your first few adventures.

I did almost the exact same thing for my instructor training. I recommend sticking to a brief history, lead into how brewing was affected by prohibitition, then quickly move into the resurgence of craft, micros, and homebrewing. Additionally, (no offense to Orfy), I'd keep it related to only US brewing history just because of the time constraints. You could very briefly discuss the main ingredients.

Back