scorching/burning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dansmith13

Reaction score
Okay, so I scorched a little bit on the bottom of the pot during boiling. It wasn't very much so I'm not too worried but just wanted some input.

I have a gas stove so it's pretty potent and heats up quick.

Once it scorched the pot a little, I backed off on the heat a bit but it never really boiled again. I think I ended up keeping it just below a boil but very close.

Anyway, someone reply...this site is fun.:rolleyes:

my very fist batch i burnt the hell outta the bottom. i noticed that there was little black flakes in my beer, they settled out in the bottle but that beer wasn't very tasty. it was drinkable but not my fav, thats for sure!!

Will it be worth it to do a secondary fermentation? It didn't burn that bad. It was just a thin ring. I noticed a few (not many at all) of those flakes in there but I don't know.

Scorching isn't a problem ... if you're making a stout. Bad idea for a hefer. Was this an extract batch? I've found that with my turkey boiler, I have to shut the burner off and wait about five minutes for the stand to cool before I add the extract. If I'm steeping, I just add the extract after the steeping is done.

i think a secondary would be a great idea. i plan on getting about a dozon more carboys when i hit the states so i can do alot of aging in the secondary.

Yeah, this was a Heineken clone kit at the local HBS. They put them together themselves there I guess. After steeping 3 lbs of grain I had to add 3.3lbs of light malt extract I think?

if you are using a gas stove you can go to a store that has GOOD camping supplys and get yourself a diffusser so the burner isnt directly on the bottom of your pot.

If your a cheep SOB like me I use a piece of diamond plate we have laying around at work (gas stove at the firehouse, electric at home . . . yet another reason I love the firehouse) and put it on top of the burner and under my kettle. I think the diadomd plate is about 3/16th's of a inch think plus the raised little diamonds keep me from getting a 100% contact with it.

it does slow me down a bit trying to get a nice boil, but not enuff to really be too worked up over.

That's a good idea, if I get something between the flame and the pot it would be less likely to burn it. Thanks.

Back