Mini-Mash vs. Extract Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdowns63

Reaction score
I have done two extract batches so far and was looking at buying my next kit from Austin HBS. What is the difference between mini-mash and extract. I've been able to figure out that it means more steeping, but do I need any extra equipment or immense skill to do it. I also don't have the ability to do a full boil yet, so can I do it with a partial boil? Thanks for your help. This probably does not matter since its a pretty general question, but it's the Newcastle clone kit that I was looking at.

I asked the same question a couple of weeks ago. It's 2 1/2 gallon boil no extra equipment. I hear the results are much better than extract alone. I'm going to do one from AHS my next brew.

A full boil is boiling the whole batch (usually 5 gallons) instead of a partial boil and topping off up to 5 gallons later.

Thanks Beerdad....
mdowns... I'm interested to hear how the Newcastle clone turns out. That is my favorite commercial beer and it might be my next brew...

I did a mini-mash + extract today. I think most people just steep their grains in a nylon bag or something. I wanted to try out my homemade mash tun that I made, so I mashed the grains as if it were an all grain recipe except on a smaller scale, and added the extract when I got to the boil.

7.7 # LME
2 #Vienna
2 #Munich
1 #Cara Aroma

Ended up with gravity of 1.068 at 5 gallons !

Looking forward to trying the beer, but most importantly I think I've got a good handle on the steps I need to take to do an all grain recipe now, and I've got confidence in my homemade mashing/sparging equipment.

I'm going to do another mini-mash + extract probably Saturday afternoon maybe monday morning.

I understand that mini-mash + extract in general tastes better than extract, I haven't made up my mind about that yet, but it is a lot more fun to cook that much is sure, and it seems like the closer you move in the all grain direction the more cost effective brewing is.

Latest posts

Back