fermentation temps: how long to control?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i have an APA fermenting right now. i used Wyeast 1056 american ale yeast and in the description is says, "Slightly citrus like with cool (60-66F, 15-19C) fermentation temperatures", which sounded good to me, so i've been fermenting in a water bath held between 60F and 64F. there was an almost 48 hour lagtime, and then the fermentation went ape **** for 48 hours. i needed a blow off hose for most of that time. it's finally settled down today and i put an airlock on. so my question is for how long do i need to maintain that temp range to get the benefit i'm looking for. i'm leaving town for a week on saturday and primary should be finished by then, but i plan to leave it anyway because it can't hurt, and i'm going to split the 6g batch into 2 3g carboys and dry hop one of them and i don't want to leave the dry hop for 7 days. should i be concerned about keeping the beer in the temp range while im gone or will the benefit of the low temp fermentation be done when the beer gets down to its final gravity?

thanks!

it will still benefit from it, but it won't be producing tons of fusel alcohols or flavours at that point. i guess IMO the initial fermentation is the most important time to control your temperature.

what temperature do you think it will be at while you are gone?

The most critical time is during primary fermentation, but I would suggest keeping the temperature under control while the beer is on the yeast. If the yeast becomes too warm it can produce esters, fusel alcohol, etc. Once it has been transferred into the secondary temperature can fluctuate a little. I wouldn't let it go too high though, colder is better.

DeathBrewer said:
what temperature do you think it will be at while you are gone?

well the temps have taken a bit of a dip here in Colorado lately. i'd say to expect 75F during the day, but down into the low 50s or high 40s at night. barring any heat waves or cold snaps the temp in the water bath will probably average 65-68. nothing terrible.

Iordz, what you said makes perfect sense. i think i'll continue to keep the temps low before i leave and if SGs justify a transfer to 2nd then i'll do that before i leave. after i made my original post i read EVERYTHING there was about dry hopping, and i'm thinking that 7 days for a dry hop isn't too long at all, so i'll go ahead with that before i leave if i can rack to 2nd.

thanks for the quick replies, anyone else have anything to add?

Latest posts

Back