Adding yeast to my home brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeynar77

Reaction score
If I needed to add yeast to my brew because it didn't carbonate ,how long should I let the new yeast sit?

If I needed to add yeast to my brew because it didn't carbonate ,how long should I let the new yeast sit?

You're going to pop open all of the beers, drop a grain of yeast in it, and then recap? If so, it'd still be three weeks or so, just like if doing it for the first time.

Most of the time, though, a beer not carbonating isn't a yeast related issue so it may not be necessary, and it might not help. It depends on why it didn't carb up.

The only time one of my batches didn't carbonate was when I was still very new to brewing, and I forgot to add priming sugar. Otherwise, the beer will almost always carb up if given time. In some cases where the beer was bulk aged or when the ABV is very high you might have to add yeast at bottling.

How long has your beer been carbonating? Was it bottled or kegged? How did you carbonate?

It's an %11 ABV stout and its the second batch I've ever done. I definitely added the priming sugar that came with the kit. It's been bottle conditioning for a little more than three months now. I shouldn't say it didn't carbonate completely but it definitely didn't carb up like any of the stouts I've had.

joeynar77 said:
It's an %11 ABV stout and its the second batch I've ever done. I definitely added the priming sugar that came with the kit. It's been bottle conditioning for a little more than three months now. I shouldn't say it didn't carbonate completely but it definitely didn't carb up like any of the stouts I've had.

How much priming sugar did you use? How long did you let the beer sit in primary/secondary before bottling? What temp have the bottles been at?

To echo the sentiment above, lack of carbonation is usually not a yeast issue - you should have plenty of yeast in suspension unless you let the beer sit for a long time.

The beer sat in the primary for about two weeks and the secondary for about a month.

The temp has been btw 72-76 the whole time and that's my basement temp. I have moved them upstairs where it'll be a few degrees warmer.

Back