brand new - no equipment, no experience

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarrodaden

Reaction score
Home brewing is something that I have heard about and I have always wanted to give it a try.

I rarely do any hobby half way. I usually end up going off the deep end.

I am an engineer, so by nature I have to research way too much. I am trying to pick out a good starter setup. I am on a budget, but I don't want to get a crummy kit. I want to get stuff that I will be able to use over the long term. I don't want to end up replacing a bunch of stuff later.

I live in Houston very close to Defalco's. Here is a kit that I have my eye on.

http://www.defalcos.com/virtuemart....ge=flypage.tpl&product_id=1102&category_id=55

They have cheaper kits, but this seems like a good kit with quality stuff.

Opinions on this kit??

Also, I traditionally like wheat beers. Blue Moon is one of my favorites.

Can someone point me to a DIY recipe? I don't think I want to use a "kit" recipe unless there is a "sure thing" out there.

Thanks.

Jarrod

I rarely do any hobby half way. I usually end up going off the deep end.

I am an engineer,

Yeah... you're totally fukced. Buckle in.

As for a recipe.... What you are probably going to get in this thread is a dozen people linking to their own recipes because they brewed it and they liked it, and they think you should brew it too. But they are also biased. :D

I honestly recommend a packaged up kit for a first timer. You have enough variables on your first brew session... no need for the recipe to be one of them. Pick a popular and simple kit from a respected company and focus on the process. Learn the ropes.

When you are comfortable (and I would define that as being able to brew a batch without having to check process instructions a hundred times), then start tinkering with recipes and branching out.

Agree with Walker's points. If you want to assemble your own Belgian Wit recipe, my Blue Balls has an extract version somewhere in here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/blue-balls-belgian-wit-blue-moon-clone-24978/index8.html

As for the kit, $300 seems kind of high and probably has some unnecessary items. You can get everything you need to brew for less than $100 (excluding ingredients). Something like this will work great and never be obsolete. No sense in paying as much for empty bottles as you can on decent beer and emptying them yourself.

Since you're in Houston, check out Academy Sports for brew kettles and propane burners - can't beat their prices.

don't buy that "STUPENDOUS, COLOSSAL BEER BREWING KIT" assemble your own equipment even if it costs more because you won't be saving any money brewing beer anyway so you may as well get the quality gear (you'll later buy anyway) right away.

You should be able to get everything you need from brew to bottle including a kit for under $150.00. And yes I agree with Walker....you are so screwed and you don't even realize it yet.

I didn't look at the kit but I will say that you can save a TON of money by scouring CRAIGSLIST for equipment. Buy the biggest pot you can afford. and go from there.

I am an engineer, so by nature I have to research way too much. I am trying to pick out a good starter setup. I am on a budget, but I don't want to get a crummy kit. I want to get stuff that I will be able to use over the long term. I don't want to end up replacing a bunch of stuff later.

If you haven't already done so, I would recommend reading a book or two on home brewing before running out to purchase equipment. How to Brew by John Palmer is a good one.

Try to determine if you're interested in bottling or kegging your brews and this will help you decide if a kit that focuses on bottling (like the one you linked, for example) is really for you or not.

Kettle size is another key decision that you will need to make early on. When I first started out I thought a 10-gallon kettle would be plenty big enough for my needs. I now wish I had instead purchased a 15 or 20 gallon kettle. I'd recommend spending a good amount of time researching kettle sizing and ask lots of questions from more experienced brewers before purchasing.

Welcome to the obsession!

I agree with Walker, do a kit but I wouldn't start with a extract only kit. I would start with An extract that includes steeping grains. As for the type. I would do a wheat or a pale ale as these tend to condition faster and taste better with a faster turn around time. This will help you with the impatience you are about to go through. Cheers and make sure you update us on your first brew and welcome to the forums.

Get a kit, learn the process of beer making first. Some extract brews, such as nut brown our IPA's have steeping, so that you can get a semi-bridge to all grain. From there you can come up with your own recipes. Think thats more logical and you know what you like. Welcome to the hobby and enjoy!

An engineer. eh? What kind of engineer? The kind that drives the train or the kind that designs the train?

I started with a very basic equipment kit and an extract ingredient kit and was brewing for under $100. I learned from that and bought the equipment that fit my kind of brewing, not some hopped up kit that someone else thought was a great idea. I've now gotten a few more things like extra fermenters (why do the kit makers assume you only need one, I have 5 now and 4 of them are full) and a bigger pot to boil in but still not a lot invested and I can add as I see fit. I'd suggest you spend the difference between the basic kit and the deluxe kit on ingredients and start practicing. You'll know better what suits you in a few months.

Since you say you don't want to be upgrading later, I wouldn't buy that equipment kit.

Brew pot: That kit only has a five gallon pot, you'll be wanting at least an 8 gallon pot later

Fermentor: Buckets are fine as fermentors. I like like these 6.5 gallon buckets with a screw on lid and drip free pouring. Just drill a hole in the top for a rubber stopper to hold your airlock. They're kinda pricey for a bucket, but I like how well they seal and the lid just twists off. At this stage, there really isn't a need for a secondary fermentor. You can add that later, if you decide you want to add fruit or dry hop.

If you're going to bottle, you'll want a bottling bucket with spigot and a bottle filler. (they don't list a bottling bucket).

Really no need to buy bottles. Just start asking around. Bars will often let you have their throw aways.

The rest of the items they list should be good to go though.

Stuff you won't want to upgrade:

GET A HUGE KETTLE. The largest you can possibly afford. There is no such thing as too large a boil kettle. Once you start extracts with partial boils, you're going to want to do PM with full boils. Then you're going to want to AG with huge boils. Then you're going to want to do 10 gallon batches, and then 15.

This will be the majority of your initial investment, I suspect. IMO, there's no need for fancy hardware like the Blichman pots- go for volume.

Get a good immersion chiller, or make one. No need to get a huge 50 footer- seriously diminishing returns on anything longer than 25 feet.

Some fermentors: I like the better bottles myself, but there is absolutely no reason to not use buckets. None. I really like that they have handles, and wish my BBs did.

A turkey fryer or banjo burner is great for full boils, and you'll never regret having one.

A vinator and bottle tree will make bottling easier, but I've never used one and don't mind. I suspect you'll move to kegging before too long anyway.

I would start with a very few things (kettle, chiller, fermentor, and autosiphon), and THEN add things as you need them. That keeps your initial investment to a minimum, and allows you to get exactly what you want, when you want it in the future.

Shiny kettles and other expensive toys won't necessarily make your beer better. If you can afford to spend some money on temperature control and yeast starters you will quickly produce high quality beers.

First of all, condolences for your family and/or significant other are in order.

Secondly, I too am an Engineer (Agri and Biological) and I started Brewing in 1996 with a couple of buckets and a carboy. Way past that now.

I second buying the best kettle you can. I have a great MegaPot Kettle with ss ball valve and brewmometer and it is the keystone of my brew days...

Welcome...

If you can afford to spend some money on temperature control...

ding ding ding

Sanitation and temp control are the most crucial things. If you are going to splurge on something and have the space, get a cheap fridge or chest freezer off craigslist, build one of the ebay aquarium temp controllers, and keep fermenters under control.

major major MAJOR quality booster.

ding ding ding

Sanitation and temp control are the most crucial things. If you are going to splurge on something and have the space, get a cheap fridge or chest freezer off craigslist, build one of the ebay aquarium temp controllers, and keep fermenters under control.

major major MAJOR quality booster.

WOW. Can't believe I left this out.

You can completely ignore my long ass previous post until you get some fermentation temperature control going.

Yea...

Fermentation temps. Definitely that.

Your "researching way too much," failed. You should research this website. Check out the pictures of the equipment and systems that the guys and gals use....I am a Doctor. A Doctor of Gonzo Journalism.

Back