Kolsch temperature AFTER fermentation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew2enjoy

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals, I've got a Kolsch going right now. It's been in the primary for 1 week now. First off, I'm not sure this can truely be called a kolsch becuase I used US-05 yeast. It fermented in the low 60's this week for the active period. Now it has settled down and I am wondering if I should still keep it cool like a traditional kolsch or if it would be ok to let it sit in the primary a bit at warmer temps. I am thinking because I didn't use a kolsch yeast it probably doesn't matter.

The main reason I ask is because I would like to remove this one from my swamp cooler so I can start my pumkin ale!

Just wanted to hear some thoughts on this.

I believe a traditional kolsch is cold conditioned at the end of fermentation. It is typically fermented at a slightly lower temp as well.

Quick answer is if you want to stick with the traditional Kolsch fermenatation then "no"....don't let it warm up. But as you mentioned, you aren't exactly making a Kolsch in the first place...

I believe a traditional kolsch is cold conditioned at the end of fermentation. It is typically fermented at a slightly lower temp as well.

Quick answer is if you want to stick with the traditional Kolsch fermenatation then "no"....don't let it warm up. But as you mentioned, you aren't exactly making a Kolsch in the first place...

Right, so I guess my real question is: are there any benefits to cold conditioning this particular beer with US-05 yeast?

Back