Pouring Growler into keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeBronco

Reaction score
I just built a new keg out of a fire extinguisher and i wanted to test it out with something other than water. Its a 3 gallon keg. I was wondering if i could get a couple of growlers from my local brewery (since they dont fill kegs) and carefully pour them into my CO2 filled keg...

If i do it slow and at an angle it shouldn't foam up too much, especially if i freeze the keg first. Will i run the risk of oxidation? I really dont want to waste a month and a full batch of beer if something goes wrong...

Suggestions?

Have you tested it with regular old water to see if it works or not? Water is cheap... beer is not. Even if I had pressure tested with water and what not, I'd see if water will carb...

Yes i tested it with water, but water doesn't foam up.

I can get a growler of beer for $6 and two growlers will be 1gallon of beer. Just enough to test out carb strength and see if the beer foams. If it does it will give me enough beer to fix the problem and test it a few times.

JoeBronco said:
I just built a new keg out of a fire extinguisher and i wanted to test it out with something other than water. Its a 3 gallon keg. I was wondering if i could get a couple of growlers from my local brewery (since they dont fill kegs) and carefully pour them into my CO2 filled keg...

If i do it slow and at an angle it shouldn't foam up too much, especially if i freeze the keg first. Will i run the risk of oxidation? I really dont want to waste a month and a full batch of beer if something goes wrong...

Suggestions?
Just try it. Better wasting that than homebrew

Um... Pics???

:D - Ill do a full wright up in another thread, but my total cost was only $50
Its a 3 gallon portable keg that doesn't need a picnic tap to serve at parties!

100_6349.jpg

100_6346.jpg

100_6345.jpg

100_6344.jpg

Just in case anyone searchers for this in the future....

You CAN pour bottled beer or growlers back into the keg.

The best way is to fill your keg with CO2 (or purge your keg) Then use your counterpressure bottle filler in reverse. Its best to chill the keg and bottles before you do this. If done correctly you can avoid oxidation and most of the foaming.

OR

The next best way is to: purge your bottling bucket with CO2 and carefully pour your beers into the bucket. From there purge your keg and fill from the bottom up. (Since i dont have a counterpressure bottle filler I will be doing it this way...)

Back