Temp too high for first 24 of fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgoldb1

Reaction score
After brewing my first batch on Saturday, I let it sit on my kitchen floor for about 24 hours. The ambient temp is around 73*F. This means the temp inside my fermentor was probably around 77/78*F if not more. The airlock was going nuts while the fermentor was in the kitchen, bubbling every second. Sunday, I moved the fermentor to the basement which has an ambient temp of around 65*F.

The yeast I used is WLP007, and the recommended temp for fermentation is 65 - 70*F. Will having my fermentor well above the recommended temps for the first 24 hours adversely affect my brew? I am planning on letting it sit in the primary for 4 weeks (dry hopping at week 3),

Thanks.

You never know what it's going to come out like until it's done, but you do have a pretty strong chance of having off flavors in this beer because of the high temps.

always cool to the mid 60's for most ales, then when the yeast get started it will sit at about 68. I couldn't live without my two swamp coolers here in NC. It is 75 today and my fermentors are in an upstairs closet. They are both holding a nice 66 or 67 and the water goes back and forth between 66 and 67. Those 2 18 gallon $5 tubs and some ice bottles can really help you dial in temps and more importantly keep them consistent over a period of time.

after all the yeast have dropped and flocculation has ended. I believe the yeast is nearly done imparting flavors. The rest of the time is just clean up. But yes there may be a chance the conditioning can offset at least some of the high temp flavors.

Back