Can i use turkey fryer pot to make turkey?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You might never get the oil out, but what do I know, I've never fried a turkey before.

Ive never done this but I really don't think its a good idea, even though it stainless steel, it can still "soak" up the grease and you will never get it out. I think it will just cause off flavors and kill the head retention.

"fried turkey sounds delicious"

Wait?.......What? I give you lobster rage fists.....yeah!!!!

Lobster Rage.jpg

I bought a used turkey fryer and it took me about a week of work to get all of the grease out. I would not suggest it if you would like to continue to use it for beer without a lot of extra work.

My brewpot is a used aluminum turkey frier pot. I used a wire brush, liberal amounts of elbow grease, Dawn dish detergent, hot water, maybe even some OxyClean, and then brought a full pot of water to a raging boil. I can honestly say that I have never even had a hint of oil in my beer. But it was enough work that I wouldn't try to use a single pot for double duty.

But when I asked about this on here, I seem to recall several people saying that they did just that. I will see if I can find that thread.

Edit: Here it is. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/ex-turkey-fry-pot-brewing-149955/

Mine is aluminum and was gifted from the FIL after he had fried turkeys in it for several years. It cleaned right up with hot water, dish detergent and a little scrubbing. It was not difficult at all.

I use my 5 gal pot for fries and chips during BBQs. I even left used oil in it for a month. Always cleans up fine, just boil some soapy water and rinse. Then dry using the flame from the burner. Never had any problems with my beer or potatoes.

I use an old turkey pot as well. It was scrubbed and soaped up real well. The only problem is since it's aluminum I had to "season" it again by boiling water in it to get the shiny aluminum interior to darken.

It also has a spigot on the bottom of the pot that I can never seem to be able to get clean. My first few beers had an oily film on them. It could have been hop oils or oil from the last turkey that was fried. Not sure, but the beer tasted great anyway!

Latest posts

Back