Yeast Starter - 10 gal batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vintage63

Reaction score
To try and save some cash, I am doing my first 10 gallon batch with a buddy and plan to split into two 5 gallon carboys. I also do a starter for my 5 gal brews, but am not too sure on how to handle for this.

I'll use White Labs. Should I buy 2 viles and prepare 2 starters (one for each carboy) or can I buy one vile and just do a single larger starter?

Any help from the pros out there is much appreciated.

You could do one big starter and split between batches. Just make sure you mix the slurry well and carefully measure the amounts before you pitch.

I just switch back and forth a lot when pouring, especially near the bottom where the yeast is the thickest. Never had a problem yet.

I usually pour a small amountof the starter into one then switch to the other. Keep rotating until there is none left. You should buy a big flask 2000ml

I'd just buy one vial, but if you make a single starter with it you'll need more than twice as much wort as you would for the 5 gal batch. A two stage starter is the best option, IMHO.

Back