First year cascade in mass not ready?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dockmasterjc

Reaction score
LIke the title says, the vines look good and plenty of cone's to be had. Some look close to being ready, but no aroma and not browning on the edges. I was wondering if anyone in mass is having this problem or is this normal?
Thanks

I am way down in sunny North Carolina and my bines continue to set burrs and cones even as the season draws to a close. I'm sure a good number will die on the bine at the first frost. I would not pick them early or you may end up with grassy beer. Get ready for next year. They will start producing much earlier and you should have plenty of season for a good harvest.

OK, I have a question for you first. Are you smelling the whole cone or did you split one in half? Split one in half if you haven't and take a whiff. You will also see the lupulin glands in there, they should be about school bus or traffic line yellow.
Secondly, you don't want to gauge when they're ready by how brown they are. A little brown is OK, but none is better. They would be ready once they get kind of papery feeling. You know, like feeling dry.

Back