Tractors Bigger Than Beer!?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cape Brewing

DOH!!! Stupid brewing...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
WTF!?!?!

I have a "lawn tractor situation" that I'm dealing with so I figured, "Hey... lemme see if there is some sort of 'lawn tractor forum' out there". I figured if I found anything like HBT, I would have some answers in like ten minutes.

Yeah... there is... and they have a freakin' TON of people on it.

MyTractorForum.com - Tractor Forum & information, Discussion Board and Heavy Equipment Information

Current users online right now = 2,410

HOLYCRAP!!!!

Most users ever = 3,097

SWEET MOTHER....

Lawn tractors are more popular than homebrewing!?!?!?!

C'mon!!! That can't be right.

Ha.

A co-worker here has a hobby of re-building anything John Deere with side projects of modding lawn tractors. And he can't stand beer.

It defies reason.

IMO anything that small is not a tractor it is a lawnmower. But I actually went on one of these sites when I had a problem with my JD 950 intermittently not starting, good place to discuss problems and get free troubleshooting advice. Now that I told you what I have although not a lawnmower and not small either, but compared to the tractors my farming neighbors have mine looks like a toy. :eek:

even bud light fits in the cup holder of a lawn mower....you can have a lawn without brewing your own beer

Wait a minute! You mean not everyone waters their lawns with chiller water?

(True Story: I bought an adaptor so I could attach a lawn sprinkler to the end of the chiller water hose)

That's not a Lawn Mower!

John%20Deere%20950.jpg

THAT"S a lawnmower.

bigbackin.jpg

:D Yep that is what I have along with a bush hog, front end loader, tilller, post hole digger and a box grader. That thing comes in so handy for so many things.

Til ya need parts.........

I keed, I keed.

The guy I know specializes in those single front wheel JD's and is always griping that he has to have a part, literally, made for them.

3374228773_1543f10a8c.jpg

Funny thing is, he doesn't farm. I mean he does keep a few head of cattle for slaughter but this is just a hobby for him. He fixes them up, takes them out to run them for a (literal) tractor pull and sells them off. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

Til ya need parts.........

I keed, I keed.

The guy I know specializes in those single front wheel JD's and is always griping that he has to have a part, literally, made for them.

3374228773_1543f10a8c.jpg

Funny thing is, he doesn't farm. I mean he does keep a few head of cattle for slaughter but this is just a hobby for him. He fixes them up, takes them out to run them for a (literal) tractor pull and sells them off. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

Mine is an 82 (I think) and only had about 600 hours on it when I brought. That is nothing for an 82, I just hope they keep making parts for them. I know what you mean though, some of the guys around here have these ancient tractors that they still use, makes you wonder how they get parts.

Old tractors are quite popular around here. Lots of the retired farmers like to fiddle with them.

WANT:

bxslide1.jpg

I was just surprised that there was that many more people on that forum. I thought brewing and HBT represented the absolute pinnacle of all that is hobby... and to have those impressions dashed by... by... by LAWNMOWERS of all things.

I need to sit quietly and reevaluate some things...

WTF!?!?!

I have a "lawn tractor situation" that I'm dealing with so I figured, "Hey... lemme see if there is some sort of 'lawn tractor forum' out there". I figured if I found anything like HBT, I would have some answers in like ten minutes.

Yeah... there is... and they have a freakin' TON of people on it.

MyTractorForum.com - Tractor Forum & information, Discussion Board and Heavy Equipment Information

Current users online right now = 2,410

HOLYCRAP!!!!

Most users ever = 3,097

SWEET MOTHER....

Lawn tractors are more popular than homebrewing!?!?!?!

C'mon!!! That can't be right.

TractorByNet.com

Mine is an 82 (I think) and only had about 600 hours on it when I brought. That is nothing for an 82, I just hope they keep making parts for them. I know what you mean though, some of the guys around here have these ancient tractors that they still use, makes you wonder how they get parts.

I think your OK with the 950 for a while. My dad has a JD4020 from about '72 that is still easy to get part for. Its only the antiques that are mostly show pieces where is gets difficult.

I have been driving farm tractors (not lawn mowers) since I was big enough to reach the pedals. I do know that tractors is a fairly big hobby but am surprised to find it much bigger than brewing. I guess we are just a drop in the bucket as far as the general population goes.

Craig

Honda even has an add on game for XBOX so you can race riding lawnmowers. It's hilarious. :D
Is this a free download? If so I am getting it tonight.

We have an 89 JD lawn mower (riding) and this year I am forcing myself to push mow. I figure if I can get used to push mowing it, then I'll have no need for the riding mower other than to race it :D SWMBO thinks this is not going to ever happen. We shall see.

Is this a free download? If so I am getting it tonight.

We have an 89 JD lawn mower (riding) and this year I am forcing myself to push mow. I figure if I can get used to push mowing it, then I'll have no need for the riding mower other than to race it :D SWMBO thinks this is not going to ever happen. We shall see.

Go here and register. Let the popup load.

Honda (UK)

ive got an old 1972 internation harvester cub cadet that im working on restoring. its not built like anything you could buy now. this thing will drag stumps out of the ground while idling. and yes the racing looks like blast there is a track they race on right down the road from my house.

I have a '58 International Cub tractor. It isn't running and I don't see how it will as long as I keep brewing. I have time for one hobby and tractors don't cut it for me. I also have a '69 Triumph 650 Bonneville that needs work, but it is like the tractor, only lower on the list.

Go here and register. Let the popup load.

Honda (UK)

Now that's a dmned fine idea!

Definitely. SWMBO was outsite during Chilling for the first time last weekend furing a 10G batch and said...You're water is running out, want me to turn it off. I explained how it worked, she said you just waste all that water the whole time? Wel...YEAH. I guess a sprinkler would be cool. But is there enough water pressure to spread it very far?

I learned to drive on one of these...not a lawnmower

JD4440.jpg

That is weird. They guy who cuts my hay had his tractor break down on Monday so yesterdy he showed up with another and it is a 4430 and looks EXCATLY like that one right down to the age and everything.

Reminds me of my college days. While walking home from a party in the wee hours we passed a Massey-Ferguson dealer. My buddy said, "Damn, I know how to drive one of there things." "Prove it!" said I.

We had a fun time explaining that one to the judge.

But is there enough water pressure to spread it very far?

I haven't had a problem. Course, I use a placte chille with little restriction on water flow. I used to choke it way down before I used it to water the lawn but have found I get more efficient cooling wide open and restricting wort flow instead.

My grandpa used to have an old JD from the late 20s or 30s that had at one time been a crank start but had been retrofitted with an electronic ignition and had a car battery strapped to the side to get it going. The exhaust cap was missing so it has been covered with a tin can with holes punched in it. My dad still used the thing for plowing the garden and pushing snow until about 20 years ago when he sold it.

I haven't had a problem. Course, I use a placte chille with little restriction on water flow. I used to choke it way down before I used it to water the lawn but have found I get more efficient cooling wide open and restricting wort flow instead.

I'm trying hard but just can't figure out how to make an amusing comment with that but there has to be something. :D

YEAH. I guess a sprinkler would be cool. But is there enough water pressure to spread it very far?

Not on my setup. I went cheap on the immersion chiller and have one with cheap plastic tubing attached to the copper with hose clamps. If I turn the inlet water to max, or restrict the outlet flow then the connections leak. I need to solder a hose connection directly on the tubing so I can get a little sprinkler coverage this summer.

Craig

Not on my setup. I went cheap on the immersion chiller and have one with cheap plastic tubing attached to the copper with hose clamps. If I turn the inlet water to max, or restrict the outlet flow then the connections leak. I need to solder a hose connection directly on the tubing so I can get a little sprinkler coverage this summer.

Craig

nah, just straighten it out, thread it through a hose and make a CFC! That's what my old IC became.

Back