So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it did rain enough last night that we couldn’t harvest today. So, we hauled wheat to town this morning and I’m brewing a Mosaic SMaSH this afternoon.

CC18D1B6-81C2-4F07-995D-DEA28F40B1E4.jpeg

Warm fermented Oktoberfest with Omega Lutra. Seeing a lot of variety in the smoothness vs kveik-iness of this strain in the Omega Lutra thread. My closet is at 80F most of the time, so I think I'll chill to 70F and pitch, and let active fermentation and ambient temp raise it up to 80F and see if it holds there

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1187310/snoktoberfest

Got a starter going before dinner tonight for the brew I'm planning for Saturday. I'm doing a 1L with the part of the harvest I didn't use in the batch made last weekend (which is pretty much done fermenting, but not ready for next steps just yet). Will see how the resulting yeast slurry takes off with Saturday's batch. This might become my SOP for any harvest that's not used within a week of collecting. Luckily my LHBS had some of the cans of Proper Starter in stock. Only 7, so I bought them all. ;)

Warm fermented Oktoberfest with Omega Lutra. Seeing a lot of variety in the smoothness vs kveik-iness of this strain in the Omega Lutra thread. My closet is at 80F most of the time, so I think I'll chill to 70F and pitch, and let active fermentation and ambient temp raise it up to 80F and see if it holds there

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1187310/snoktoberfest
I’m doing the same! Have you done this before? I made a Pilsner with lutra and it came out really good but I kept the temp at 70. I was wondering if I can take advantage of that high temperature rating and still get the clean profile.

I’m doing the same! Have you done this before? I made a Pilsner with lutra and it came out really good but I kept the temp at 70. I was wondering if I can take advantage of that high temperature rating and still get the clean profile.
Nope never done it before. I've been reading a lot on the Omeg Lutra thread and it seems some people get clean results and others still get a signature kveik flavor, even at varying temps. I'm hoping there's enough malt flavor to overpower anything. All I know is it's gotta be cleaner than Voss lol

Nope never done it before. I've been reading a lot on the Omeg Lutra thread and it seems some people get clean results and others still get a signature kveik flavor, even at varying temps. I'm hoping there's enough malt flavor to overpower anything. All I know is it's gotta be cleaner than Voss lol
It was definitely clean for me at the low end. And yea I did an ipa with Voss and it was extremely orange.

Need to whip something up for our October club comp this weekend...leaning towards a half-size, no-sparge batch, since I don't have anything ready. We're doing non-hazy NEIPA (wanted to make things interesting). Now I need to get a recipe together...

I just mashed in on a classic American pilsner. I only had 5lb of pils malt left from last spring's 55lb sack, so I larded up the grist with some six row, instant grits, and minute rice. Voila! I now have a new CAP recipe. It will take its place in the esteemed halls of my Panther Piss series of American lagers as Panther Piss Neo-Classic.

Picture from earlier...
PXL_20210904_181650420.jpg

Mash for my English IPA (MO and EKG). Mash temp was pretty stable at 152F for the duration (minor ups and downs during the hour). Got my target volume into the BK and got it into conical within 6 hours of putting water into the MT and HLT. Used my new yeast brink (from NorCal/Jaybird) to push the yeast slurry up from the bottom dump valve in the conical.

Planning to dry hop with about 2oz of EKG once fermentation is complete and I harvest the yeast (at about day 10-12). The batch is expected to be ready for drinking the last weekend of the month (25th/26th). Actually, will probably go to keg and can on/by the 19th. Will be fully ready to drink at that point (carbonated and all).

Was supposed to brew Friday, I was sick/hungover. Supposed to brew Saturday, had to fix the car instead. Supposed to brew today, cat had to go to the vet. Planning to brew an American Wheat/Blue Moon clone tomorrow, but I'm sure something will get in the way.

Sometimes life is much easier when you just go to work.

Was supposed to brew Friday, I was sick/hungover. Supposed to brew Saturday, had to fix the car instead. Supposed to brew today, cat had to go to the vet. Planning to brew an American Wheat/Blue Moon clone tomorrow, but I'm sure something will get in the way.

Sometimes life is much easier when you just go to work.

They say trouble comes in threes, so you're good.

You're going to make some great beer tomorrow! :bigmug:

They say trouble comes in threes, so you're good.

You're going to make some great beer tomorrow! :bigmug:
Thanks, I hope so! If I don't get to brew I'm pretty well stocked for now. Been brewing every weekend for the last month because we have some busy weekends coming up in Sept/Oct with beer fests and weddings, so I wanted to have plenty ready in case I can't brew for a while. But I can always sneak in a weeknight brew if I have to.

well i ended with a tad over 10 gallons of 1.064 wort! not to bad for homemalt! started at 7am, done at 1pm....pretty quick brew day too :mug:

cleaned up and want to post to the non-existent thread "who brewed this weekend" lol, and still having fun with the camera! here it all is ready for next week end, gotta get some barley soaking!

1630882483843.png

and honestly looking at that pic, that crap on the sink doesn't scrub off. but seeing it there, i'm thinking "you know, i have a bucket of homemade PBW!" ;)

and my brew rig that has served me for 17 years! all cleaned up, and ready for service when the call comes for it next week! :mug:

1630882694814.png

and i know they're boring pictures, but they're not blurry!!!! ;) lol

@bracconiere Have you tried Bar Keeper's Friend on that nasty sink? Use that with a scrubbing sponge and you'll be amazed at what it can do. If that doesn't clean it, nuke it from orbit and replace it. Of course, I'm seeing similar 'stains' on the walls, and most things you're taking pictures of. You can't blame them on that on your "new" camera since you've been raving about it. 🤣

@bracconiere Have you tried Bar Keeper's Friend on that nasty sink? Use that with a scrubbing sponge and you'll be amazed at what it can do. If that doesn't clean it, nuke it from orbit and replace it. Of course, I'm seeing similar 'stains' on the walls, and most things you're taking pictures of. You can't blame them on that on your "new" camera since you've been raving about it. 🤣

well i soaked both bins with PBW for an hour in hot water, didn't work.... :( think i do have some SOS pads around....and the grout i think would have to be redone, which i can't afford...i live on $7.8/hr! i'm glad i have a house at all for people to talk smack about! lol

wort be made, preboil reading with the thingy.....11.5gallons, for a 10 gallon batch....hops ready to go in! 23lb grain bill.....

View attachment 741465

and yes i'm just having fun with the camera!
Bracc I love how cost effective your brewing setup is, but then here you are with a digital refractometer! I guess this purchase is worth the investment would you say?

Bracc I love how cost effective your brewing setup is, but then here you are with a digital refractometer! I guess this purchase is worth the investment would you say?

i got mine used "open-box"! for $90...hooked someone else up with a used one for $60! :mug:

and i was tired of broken hydrometers, at $20+ a piece, it'll pay for itself! ;)

Been meaning to brew a festbier for about a month. Finally got her done this evening. Second time I brewed outside instead of in the basement kitchen. Was bringing stuff back inside and washing as I went, was inside for maybe five minutes then came back outside to find two racoons poking their heads around and trying to make off with my siphon! 🤣

what, no picture?

i just took one of the cleaner sink though! lol i do appreciate the constructive **** talking! improves my quality of life....took 20 minutes of scouring with sos pads, yes plural....but here's where it's at now....

1630904465734.png

and i'm only a 12 pack into the day!

edit: and looking at that, if you tell me my drain cover needs scrubing, i'll PM you a 🖕

Last edited:
Just started up the pump on another batch of the Blonde/Kolsch that did so well in the Fair. Same recipe, but dropped the strike to 160 for a mash temp of about 151 to see if I can get more sugar out of it. Only slightly negative comment it got was not sweet enough to match the aroma, so I'm trying to fix that. Sipping on some of what I'm calling Stinky Snozzberry Seltzer during the brewday; getting my vitamin C from the juice and just a teeny bit of alcohol (it finished at just under 4%). Still smells funny but tastes great.

Back