Bread with distillers yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickbath

Reaction score
Hi All,

Im starting to bake bread and instead of using bread yeast i thought to use distillers yeast as ive got a 500grams bag of distillers yeast. Have any of you had any luck with distillers yeast while baking bread? Ive heard people have luck with ale yeast... but thats way too pricey for use in a bread.

Ive heard it rises much slower but its been about 12 hours since i added 1.5 teaspoon of the yeast which is about the same state. Yes, ive added some sugar in it too..

Hi All,

Im starting to bake bread and instead of using bread yeast i thought to use distillers yeast as ive got a 500grams bag of distillers yeast. Have any of you had any luck with distillers yeast while baking bread? Ive heard people have luck with ale yeast... but thats way too pricey for use in a bread.

Ive heard it rises much slower but its been about 12 hours since i added 1.5 teaspoon of the yeast which is about the same state. Yes, ive added some sugar in it too..

Ale yeast is extremely inexpensive if you are a homebrewer...

Just sayin'.

Im based in singapore and ale yeast is about 6 bucks per packet...
When a relative was enroute over i got some assistance to buy distillers yeast as i plan to pimp up ABV...

And since im gonna start baking i thought to give it a shot with the distillers yeast..

Im based in singapore and ale yeast is about 6 bucks per packet...
When a relative was enroute over i got some assistance to buy distillers yeast as i plan to pimp up ABV...

And since im gonna start baking i thought to give it a shot with the distillers yeast..

That $6 packe4t of yeast can very easily be turned into quarts of fresh yeast. And you get beer to drink with the bread at the same time!

Hi All,

Order yeast on eBay. And start making cultures. I have a pound of distillers yeast also, it's lasted forever

Hi All,

Last edited:
Most Pizza Dough requires 2 1/2 teaspoons of Rapid Rising Yeast. I would suggest that maybe the next time you could add an extra teaspoon of DADY to achieve the 2 1/2 teaspoons of yeast that's required.
Could just be what you need.

Keep in mind that brewing/distilling yeast have been bred (no pun intended) for alcohol production while baking yeast have been selected for CO2 production so you aren't going to get exactly the same results out of the two. Each produces what the other is best at so it is not impossible but if using any brewing or distilling yeast you should give the dough more time to rise to account for this possibility. After baking with it a time or two you will know how much extra time you need to give yourself to have a loaf ready to bake.

Back