Sous Vide

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We do salmon in ours at least once a week. Get the water up to 160, toss in the fish bagged with a pat of butter and dill. By the time you fix your salad and side it's gone from frozen to ready. It does have a softer texture than pan seared but the flavor is great.

I haven't tried this technique yet but intend to but I'll pass it on to you free of charge:D

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/brining-curing-fish

Do not thaw 1st - one of the biggest advantages of sous vide.

Even a quick pan sear would make it over done. Could try a lower water temp probably. I need to experiment more.

160 for salmon? Yikes...

I do 122* for 20 minutes after a 30 minute brine in a quart of water, 1/4 c salt, and 1/4 sugar.

Thawed first, and then pan seared for a minute to crisp the skin a bit...

just gave myself a threat! 35 days dry aged rib eye, 130f for 4 hrs, finish it on a piping hot grill.....

IYmSa60.jpg

one of my favorite, chuck roast, in the bath for 96hrs ( yep 4 days!) at 130f...finish in oven at 500f for about 3 minutes, hold on to your hat, here's the poor man's prime rib! au jus... horseradish.....

2016-04-20 18.44.16.jpg

2016-04-20 18.49.16.jpg

A few submissions as I work to get caught up with y'all. I've been cooking sous vide since about 2008 when I bought a SVS. Still have that one, but use my Anova more frequently.

This is sous vide salmon pan finished with a pineapple tomato salsa and peas. Then 18-hour pork belly sliders. And believe it or not, the best fried chicken I've ever made.

image.jpg

image.jpeg

one of my favorite, chuck roast, in the bath for 96hrs ( yep 4 days!) at 130f...finish in oven at 500f for about 3 minutes, hold on to your hat, here's the poor man's prime rib! au jus... horseradish.....

I did chuck roast starting Friday morning and pulled it out Sunday evening, 132F. Holy crap, poor man's prime rib indeed! That is exactly what it is like. I pan seared mine in tallow and served with roasted potatoes, carrots, celery, mushrooms and onion in beef broth.

Wow! Winner.

I was definitely looking for the horseradish to complete the prime rib effect but I didn't have any. I won't make that mistake next time.

Got some bone in loin chops last week-end, 5hrs @ 145f, finish on a griddle on top of the sear burner of my grill... so far best sous vide chops I've made... served with a grilled caesar salad, broccoli and raisins salad and some nice crusty bread....

2016-06-25 17.16.19.jpg

2016-06-25 18.22.47.jpg

2016-06-25 17.51.50.jpg

2016-06-25 18.34.41.jpg

3 pounds Porterhouse, All covered with coarse salt and in the fridge, uncovered for 2hrs, then, sous-vide for 6hrs @130f, will then sear it on the grill the hotter I can... will be served with Gratin Dauphinois and a bottle of red from the bottom shelf ( where I keep the good stuff!)

2016-09-10 10.35.27.jpg

2016-09-10 12.35.40.jpg

2016-09-10 12.37.32.jpg

Have you guys found any full "meal in a bag" recipes yet?

Best stuff I've been making regularly with my Anova:

Apples with a little honey and cinnamon, 175*F for ~45min

Carrots (or asparagus) with butter and salt/pepper, 183*F, 1-2 hours

Steak, Pork, Chicken...obviously

Probably the most practical use I've found for it has been to buy pre-marinated, pre-vacuum packed boneless chicken breasts from Wegmans and freeze them. Every few days I may toss a few in the sous-vide at 149*F while I'm at work...when I get home I fire up the rice cooker with some home-made vegetable stock and seasoned rice, then chop up one of the chicken breasts and mix it in. Super easy, super easy clean up meal for one. Remaining vac-sealed chicken goes in the fridge to be used later for something else....already fully cooked so just needs chopped up and heated up.

I have recently done a few turkey breasts in my sous vide. I am not usually a big fan of turkey but 3 hours at 145 produced an amazing moist turkey breast. Will never cook turkey in the oven again.

You guys are killing me - Wife is fighting black friday crowds to get me an Anova for my birthday - I can't wait to get my hands on that thing.

You guys are killing me - Wife is fighting black friday crowds to get me an Anova for my birthday - I can't wait to get my hands on that thing.

Did you see the Black Friday sale online?

It's such a good deal, and worthwhile device...I think I'll make a separate post on the sale

Did you see the Black Friday sale online?

It's such a good deal, and worthwhile device...I think I'll make a separate post on the sale

Ohh yea $99 bucks... can't beat it - I honestly was contemplating going to target today and hiding one for friday.

Only thing I don't know about is quantities available. I lost out on a Dell sale today because of quantities being limited...so you may want to go hide one just in case!

Only thing I don't know about is quantities available. I lost out on a Dell sale today because of quantities being limited...so you may want to go hide one just in case!

We're about to head out and assess the situation - gotta go trade in the wife's phone at bestbuy - 450 bucks worth of giftcards if you trade now, target is right across the way so I may go in and be sneaky.

Irony is I've been watching Dell all day trying to justify a new 55 inch 4k tv

Chuck looks good!

Turkey comes out real good too!

I used my sous vide this morning to pasteurize some eggs, I'm using them in a German Bratwurst recipe and figured may as well.

Turkey is in the water. Chopped it up into breasts, legs, & thighs, then rubbed with salt, sugar, paprika, and garlic powder. Also tossed in the liver, heart, and giblets for the dog and cats in a separate bag. I've got it set to 149 right now and plan on letting it go all day... Maybe into tomorrow morning.

Luck critters to get all tasty bits.

Back