Anyone else having efficiency issues with Brewmasterswarehouse?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beernewb

Reaction score
I wonder if they changed the setting on thier crush. My last three bathces from them have come in under gravity by 4-8 points. Nothing has changed in my process and I even mased for 90 minutes on the last one. I always used to come in slightly above gravity with them, even if I wound up with a little high on volume.

I wonder if they changed the setting on thier crush. My last three bathces from them have come in under gravity by 4-8 points. Nothing has changed in my process and I even mased for 90 minutes on the last one. I always used to come in slightly above gravity with them, even if I wound up with a little high on volume.

4th now, 2 kits from NB were spot on and slightly over, it used to be the opposite, I was always high with BMW and slightly low with NB...something definitely changed, maybe when Scott left....

I accidentally got crushed grain from them recently. I have my own mill so I typically get uncrushed (and subsequently crush the hell out of it). I thought their crush looked kind of bad but then again I know that I crush more than a homebrew shop will. It works for my system and I know it won't for a lot.

Anyway, in addition to using their crush, I made a few other changes and got really bad efficiency. I changed my grain-strike water ratio and ended up missing my mash temperature. Then I added hot water to bring up the temperature. It was a mess. With a large grain bill like I was using, I typically get in the low 70s but with this I ended up in the high 50s. I kind of attributed it to any number of things.

Fast forward to the second batch, and I decided to run the grains through my mill. It was a smaller grain bill and I typically hit low 80s efficiency. I hit it right on. I'm pretty sure I would not have using their crush.

Always got 75 % from bewmasters until the last few batches I ordered this summer was up and down in efficiency decided to purchase a mill problem solved

Even with no-sparge BIAB, I get about 70% which is good enough for me. It's pretty consistent so I just adjust my grain bill.

OK, that makes sense. I was wondering why my efficiency went to crap recently. I had not changed anything, and used the same formulas.

They have to fix that, ASAP.

:mad:

ETA: I just went over to their site and complained. We will see if that works.

OK, that makes sense. I was wondering why my efficiency went to crap recently. I had not changed anything, and used the same formulas.

They have to fix that, ASAP.

:mad:

ETA: I just went over to their site and complained. We will see if that works.

I've also noticed this in my last few batches.

hopalotamus said:
Always got 75 % from bewmasters until the last few batches I ordered this summer was up and down in efficiency decided to purchase a mill problem solved

+1

I used to get 75%. Lat few batches 72, 67 (tried BIAB), 70.

I love BMW. But I recently purchased a mill in hopes of getting a consistent efficiency.

kehaar said:
+1

I used to get 75%. Lat few batches 72, 67 (tried BIAB), 70.

I love BMW. But I recently purchased a mill in hopes of getting a consistent efficiency.

Can save alittle cash and buy 50lb bags too if you have a mill.

Back