Clarifying agents

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thirdeye

Reaction score
Is there anything I can throw into secondary along with my brew to help clarify it a little? The following brew is in primary now (8th day). Just took a gravity reading and it is REALLY cloudy. Looks just like Blue Moon.

Malts: 7# Pale LME
3/4# Corn Sugar
Grains: 1# Marris Otter
1/8# Aromatic
3/4# Brit LT Xstal
Hops: 1oz Ndown @Boil
1oz Challenger @30
1oz Progress @50
Yeast: White Labs British Ale WLP005

Time. 8 days is WAY too early to expect clear beer.

If, after 4-6 weeks, including at least one week of cold storage, the beer hasn't cleared, you can add Polyclar, Isinglass, or gelatin.

Yuri_Rage said:
Time. 8 days is WAY too early to expect clear beer.

If, after 4-6 weeks, including at least one week of cold storage, the beer hasn't cleared, you can add Polyclar, Isinglass, or gelatin.

How cold is cold? And is cold storage part of secondary or bottle conditioning?

Thirdeye said:
How cold is cold? And is cold storage part of secondary or bottle conditioning?
Well, for best results, cold crash to near freezing. If that's not possible, strive for at least below 50° F. You can chill the beer either before or after bottling, but if you bottle first, you'll never be able to add finings.

As Yuri said you need to be patient. Time will clear most beers. If you aren't happy with how clear it is after 2-3 weeks then you can add finings. What I do is add gelatin to the beer still in the primary and then cold crash it for 5-7 days then bottle or keg it.

GT

Latest posts

Back