Big problem? Mash laughter failed.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psi3000

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am currently doing an all grain batch, for like the 8th time, so I'm not a complete noob at it. However when I went to drain it into the pot it just wasn't coming out. So I blew a little into the tube to free it up and added a little more hotter water. This would only work for like 3 seconds each time. I new at this point I must have shaken the tube from the outlet to the cone filter thingy at the bottom. I ran to wallmart, which is just across the street and got some of those rubber mittens for cooking so I could feel around to try to reconnect it. However, I couldn't do this and ended up poring out all of the mash laughter contents into my brew pot so I could fix the problem. I did it as gently as possible but a good amount of aeration took place I could tell by looking at the bubbles on the top of the water. So is my beer ruined? Is there anything I can do? What exactly will this aireration do to the beer?
Let me know what you think.
thanks
Rich

Your beer is not ruined, so relax. The process is called oxidation, not aeration. When you are adding oxygen to a cooled wort it's considered aeration, which is a good thing because the yeast need oxygen to grow. It's a bad thing when oxygen is getting into the wort while it's hot, it can lead to a cardboard, "sherry" like beer, which is not a good thing. Oxygenation is good, oxidation is bad.
Don't worry about oxidation, I have had rough mashes and the beer came out great.

Thanks for the good words my friend. I am slightly relaxed now. The boil is just starting in my deep fryer.

Ok, so it's not called a mash laughter. I should have said the big 10gal Igloo cooler with the filter cone at the bottom which I use to mash the grains in.

filter cone, like a false bottom or something else?

if its 'something else' you might consider a SS braid, and a couple of tight zip ties to hold it on to the drain barb.
never had a stuck sparge yet with this method.

Back